Hello. I'm 27 year old mother and I have some questions about my son’s health. You see, just the other day, he came back home from school covered with hives.
I asked him about what has he eaten that day in school but he told me that he didn’t eat anything and that they just broke out with no proper reason. Ok, I took him to doctor who didn’t want to do any allergy tests because he was sure it was from some kind of food and prescribed him some antihistamine drug called Atarax.
He started to use it but the biggest problem is that when he stops using it the hives are back and this last about 6 months now. Does anybody know anything about this?

Hives is body's reaction to environment such as food and temperature. It is clear to me that your son is suffering from one condition called chronic hives. This has become very common condition because there a lot of possible “allergens” in our environment.
When you develop this condition, having hives for six months is quite normal and that’s why I think your son should continue with his antihistamine drug. You see, there is also one another type of drugs called corticosteroids which should suppress this unwanted body’s response but they should be used only if necessary.
I believe also that you should do an allergy test immediately because, avoiding certain allergen is best thing he could do, better that using any drug. Everybody should try to find out the reasons for their own hives and try the best for prevention.

I have chronic hives and have had them for nearly 9 months now. I had all the allergy testing, including foods, and found that I'm not allergic to anything, although when she put histamine on my arms it immediately raised the skin into a giant hive. I have researched this and found that I have histamine intolerance. I'm usually ok if I eat low histamine foods such as apples, fresh vegetables (nothing from a can) and avoid tomatoes and spinach (very high in histamine) The longer food stands after cooking the more histamine it develops. Also shellfish is very high so I have to stick to salmon or cod (fresh frozen or fresh only) My doctor said I should try to avoid chicken ( how difficult) It has hormones; she said to eat lamb, which isn't always easy to find, and grass fed hormone free beef.(no pork) some fruits are ok but not strawberries or watermelon. Zucchini and yellow squash are always in the fridge. stay away from cruciferous vegies like cauliflower, cabbage and Brussels sprouts. Eat yams and pumpkin but not white or russet potatoes as these are high in histamine.also avoid dairy and aged cheese, cream cheese,mozzerella and butter are alright, as they are fresh. No margarine. I hope this helps some