My son got avelox because of sinusitis he has developed. I thought that he had viral infection, but obviously he did not. Please tell me something about avelox. Does it mean that infection is very serious if avelox was prescribed? What group of antibiotics does it belong?

Avelox is indicated in respiratory infections and skin infections. It belongs to family of quinolone antibiotics. It rarely shows side effects and they can be dizziness, diarrhoea or nausea. Actually it is prescribed in serious infections and should not be taken with nsaids because of potential interactions. There is also possibility of increased sensitivity on sunlight. I was taking avelox when had sinusitis, before that had sinusitis several times and treated it with amoxicillin. It seems that avelox fights bacteria better than other more commonly used antibiotics.