Hi, guys. I have a sore throat and my friend recommends me to start with antibiotic. He says that amoxicillin capsules are one of the best. I have never taken them, so I would like to know about the potential side effects. Is there anyone who can help me with this? I would appreciate it.

Hi, there. Amoxicillin belongs to a group of penicillin antibiotics. There are not some special side effects. Gastrointestinal ones are the most common. However, rash is also possible. You should be careful when taking antibiotics. Not every sore throat is caused by bacteria. Most of them are viral and in those cases antibiotics do not help. You will only make bacteria resistant to amoxicillin, so when you really need it, you won’t have any benefit from it. I think you should consult a doctor whether to take an antibiotic or not. I believe your friend means well, but he is not an expert, is he?