My 15 years old son has tonsillitis; he got omniceff as a therapy. As he was rarely sick as a kid, he didn’t have to use antibiotics. He is not allergic on penicillin. What can you tell me about omniceff? How effective it is in tonsillitis? Thanks.

Omnicef is indicated in tonsillitis, like in some other bacterial infections, like pneumonia, sinusitis or skin infections. As you said that your son was not allergic on penicillin, and didn’t have many medications previously, so it should work him. I believe that this therapy would do him excellent. Omnicef belongs to class of cephalosporines, which are substances similar to penicillin. Bacteria that cause tonsillitis respond on this antibiotic, common side effects that occur are mild nausea, diarrhoea and sometimes yeast infections can occur, but that is typical for antibiotics generally and not only for omniceff.