Hi I am suffering from acute bronchitis last several days and I also have high temperature. I feel very weak and I am constantly coughing. I visited my doctor yesterday and he prescribed me amoxicillin so I would like to know if this medication will help me with my bronchitis.

Hi, your doctor prescribed you amoxicillin as medication which will prevent secondary infection. If your bronchitis is caused by viral agent than any antibiotics will no have any use as viruses are not reacting on antibiotics. If bronchitis is bacterial amoxicillin would be useful. If mucus is green and thick than it has bacterial origin.

Hello there,

Well your doctor is a medical expert and when he has prescribed you with antibiotics he is probably sure that your acute bronchitis is caused with bacteria and amoxicillin is going to fight against bacteria. Of course cough, which is the worst symptom of bronchitis, will probably be very persistent so don’t worry if you continue to cough even one month after all other symptoms of bronchitis are gone. But if you continue to cough after two months than you have probably developed chronic bronchitis and you will need to consult your doctor one more time.

I hope that you will recover soon. And avoid drinking alcohol while taking amoxicillin. This can slow down your healing process.