My daughter has to use zithromas because of sinusitis and throat infection that has. She is 16 years old. I’m interested in adverse effects of this medication and possible its interactions with food and other drugs. She has to use it only for 5 days, which seems to me shorter that therapy usually lasts. If you know the answers on my questions, please post.

Zithromax is macrolide antibiotic that is very effective in treatment of throat infections, sinusitis, pneumonia, laryngitis etc. It should be taken an hour before or two hours after meal, because it may bind to food and absorption may be decreased that way, and the effect too. There is almost no interaction of zithromax with other drugs, antacids should be avoided because of their influence on absorption. This drug is usually well tolerated and the side effects that may occur are nausea, diarrhoea and abdominal pain, but are very rare.