Hi, I have anemia and since level of iron and hemoglobin are adequate, my doctor is now suspecting a vitamin B12 deficiency. He said that it requires intravenous application of vit. B12. Is there any form of vit. B12 in tablets or capsules?

Vitamin B12 is essential for the maturation of red blood cells. It is stored in liver and quantity is enough for 3 to 5 years to exhaust. Deficiency is due to inadequate absorption. An intrinsic factor in stomach is required for vitamin B12 to be absorbed. Intrinsic factor is a protein which binds vitamin B12 and can be absorbed only in that form. Without intrinsic factor, vitamin B12 remains unabsorbed and is excreted in the stool. Intrinsic factor may be lacking in some autoimmune reactions. If you lack intrinsic factor injections of vitamin B12 are required, and if not you can take oral supplements.