Hi, I am 23 years old, and for the past 4 years, my hair has been greying. It started in the front, only in little strands, but now it is all over. I have dark brown hair, and the shiney white hairs really stand out. I've tried dying it (professionally and self), but it won't pick up the colors. I do not eat very well. My diet actually consists of carbs, chicken, and cheese. I know it's bad, but my reason for not eating veggies and fruits is a whole different story. What I want to know is if anyone knows of a vitamin deficiency that would turn your hair gray, prematurely?? I would really appreciate any help. Thanks!!

Many times a deficiency of zinc can be the cause of greying hair. You can give yourself a quick check by looking at your fingernails. If you have little white spots on your nails, this is also a sign of zinc deficiency. Check with your doctor, they can check your levels for you and offer you assistance on how to take and how much zinc to take.

vitamin b12 deficiency can also be a cause of premature greying as well as an imbalanced thyroid. Make sure to eat lots of dark green veggies and fish if you can that should help. Also to make sure youre getting enough get a multi-vitamin that has A LOT of B vitamins in them as well as iodine. :-)

There's lots of stuff you need to keep your hair healthy and if that's all you eat, then YES that is why you're greying!
B vitamins and copper deficiencies are common causes of hair ailments.

I have been taking kelp everyday for iodine deficiency and Percy's Powder (as it contains a good amount of zinc and some other minerals too). I eat chicken, fresh fish (not canned), red meat and organic vegetables. Can anyone tell me if the Colloidal Copper mineral supplement is safe to take? As I have been reading that Vitamin B deficiency, zinc and copper can lead to pre-mature aging. I refuse to dye my hair as I have chemical sensitivities. Any advice on reversing gray hair would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Erin

zinc deficiency can make you lose your hair as well as premature greying. nuts and seafood, most specifically oyster can do a lot of work, so i think you should take those.

Yes, B's, zinc, copper, etc can all contribute to greying hair. I've never seen a colloidal copper supplement before, so I'm not sure what that looks like, but I do know you want to get between 2 and 3 mg of copper daily.

He She Wu is known in chinese medicine to reverse graying to a certain level. It is believed that because it has a high level of zinc it has this affect.

A balanced collodial mineral blend, organic/whole food multivitamin and, yes, He She Wu (often called Fo-Ti) are wonderful natural remedies for greying hair.  Give most solutions 3-4 months of a daily protocol (cellular change takes time).  If your reason for not eating fruits and vegetables is digestive related try doing a full body cleanse, take a full spectrum (variety of bacteria strains) probiotic and digestive enzymes daily.  Humic Fulvic Acid is a great daily detoxifier that has been linked to restoration of normal hair pigmentation (you can even put it in a spray bottle and spritz the solution on your scalp daily).  Establishing healthy eating habits is important.  If you are not able to do lots of fruits and vegetables try an orgainic superfood blend and mix with water and drink daily. 

a lot of people know about zinc but i would like to tell them that zinc is lost by ejaculation because semen contains zinc.so i request to all those thinking about greying hairs that to stop masterbation and you will experience the change yourself.

Hi

I had/ have premature hair greying too and I have family history of B12 Deficiency in the family (only just found out!). It will take a lot more than multi vits to get over this deficiency if you have it. If you have problems digesting milk/ dairy you may not beable to absorb this vitamin even in tablet form. Try B12 in lozinge form in high doses as well as a muliti vit or b-complex, or spray form, which you may be able to absorb. If this fails you may need B12 injections. you can get home tests to see if you have a deficiency or ask your doctor for the right test (see website

***Post is edited by moderator *** Web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

and other websites on the internet available too). B vitamins are water soluable so it will be very hard to overdose on this vitamin. If you are deficient you need to build your levels up quickly as this can be a pretty serious deficiency. Check the site also for any other symptoms to see if you have any of them too as greying hair alone would probably mean you are ok. Good luck x

Ok, Let me tell you my story and then I'll tell you what I think might be causing so many young people to be greying prematurely. I saw my first gray hair like 2 months ago, then I saw my second grey hair less than 3 weeks ago, then I saw my third grey hair today. Want to hair my opinion on what is causing this? Read on....

We are all created differently genetically, so one person's cause for getting grey hairs might be totally different for someone else. Nevertheless, apart from genetics, 1 of the 5 reasons below is definitely a cause of grey hairs. Here are my top 5 reasons why we grey:

1) Diet, and when I say diet that includes Vitamin Z, B and copper dificiencies. I've noticed that my intake of Vitamins have dropped significantly during 2012, so that's why I put Diet at the top of the list. I've also noticed that I am not eating as much fruits during the latter half of 2012 as I did in previous years.

2) Stress, yes stress. You've heard it before and I must admit it may be true after all. 2012 was a stressful year for me. I came under a lot of stress in many areas - going through a breakup, being in a stressful job (left that job since) and many other events that I prefer not to remember.

3) Lack of sleep - Yes this is a big one. You might be seeing this one for the first time in your life, but I believe it may have caused or contributed my grey hairs. I've noticed that my sleep pattern has changed somewhat in 2012. I've noticed that I went to my bed after 12:00 a.m nearly every night during that year (student in college doing my final year). Now there are those who might be saying, what about nurses and other people who have to work overnight and are not greying? Well, I can't answer that question, somehow their bodies adjust and compensate for the lack of sleep that they should be getting before 12 a.m. I've heard that it is never good to go to bed after 12 a.m. (no matter what the excuse), even the bible admonishes us in Psalm 127:2. When you go to bed after 12 a.m. certain chemicals that the body uses are not produced which can only be produced from the time that you go bed to 12 midnight. Sounds like fiction right? wrong, this is an absolutely a fact. When you retire after 12 a.m regularly, it affects your circadian rthyhm and when that happens all sorts of things happen to your body including possibly getting premature greying. Sometimes the effects can be seen immediately but sometimes they take years to materialise.

I told you that I would give you 5 reasons but I'll stop here for now. If you want the other 2 just reply to my thread and let me know.

All the best,

Peter

Hey,
Many thanks for this , and based upon your comments i actually went and checked as to what does the semen contain and the answer is :-semen contains approximately six calories. Semen does contain protein, but it also contains all kinds of chemicals and minerals, including water, sugar, calcium, chlorine, magnesium, nitrogen, vitamin B12, and zinc. this i found on http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_semen_contain. So what i understand is vitmain and trace minerals are always needed in a correct ratio for them to work correctly. but for some there ratio's might not be accurate for people with thyroid imbalances etc.. so as you mentioned ejaculation does nothing but further dis- assembling the ratio's and thus leading to greying. I am 26 and i was taking collidal copper , but ehat i guess is due to ejaculation my body was getting depleted of zinc as for absorbing of zinc , copper is needed and for copper Vit c is needed so i guess it all went haywire and thus resulting in more grey. Thanks a million for the hopefully right direction. Thanks to people like you who can take out there time to enlighten the unaware like me so that atleast they can live with a ray of hope.

sir,
within one month of period my hair on face & head is gray.

please give the suggestion.my age is 28 yr.

If you find that you are vitamin or mineral deficient, even though you take the right vitamins and eat the right foods, please check your diet. Many food allergies and food intolerances cause malabsorption. Most food intolerances will be one of the big 8 (milk, egg, soy, wheat, peanuts, shellfish, tree nuts, fish) but you can be allergic to anything.