I am suffering from pernicious anemia. It seems that it is a rare disorder in which my body does not absorb enough vitamin B12 from the digestive tract. I am confused because no one explained to me what caused this pernicious anemia in me.

Pernicious anemia is more common in individuals of northern European descent and results from a lack of intrinsic factor in gastric secretions, a substance needed to absorb vitamin B12 from the gastrointestinal tract. So, it is result of Vitamin B12 deficiency. Your inability to make intrinsic factor may be the result of chronic gastritis, or the result of a gastrectomy. Pernicious anemia may also be associated with type 1 diabetes, thyroid disease, and a family history of the disease

HI' I have pernicious anemia. I had a sub total gaserectomy.I have beem getting b 12 shots monthly for 15 years and will continue until I die.

I am terrified of needles so you understand the stress I have, Good Luck

**edited by moderator**