I am 22 years old and I just recieved my first lumbar epidural two days ago for three ruptured discs. I was wondering if it is going to weaken the effectiveness of my OrthoTricyclenLo? I began taking it to regulate my periods at age twelve but have also recently been using it for contraceptive purposes. I cant seem to get a straight answer on this and I really do not wish to become pregnant aytime soon!

Thank you!

I hope that you are recovering well from your surgery. I'm not sure that it will have an effect on the contraceptive effect of your OrthoTricyclenLo, although it doesn't sound like it would. If you are unsure, you should talk to your pharmacist or your doctor about it. I would also recommend having your partner use a condom unless you are in a monogamous long-term relationship anyway, since having unprotected sex can still lead to STDs--and at least having your partner use a condom until you get an answer. Good luck to you, and let us know what the results are! I'm curious to hear if the epidural affects your contraceptive.