Hello. I'm 24 year old female and I'm pregnant almost eight months now. I'm looking forward to this child because for a long time my husband and I were trying to make me conceive.
But, to be honest with you- I'm a bit scared of this labor because of the tremendous pain I'm going to experience.
These last couple of months I heard a lot of stuff about these so called epidural injections that are relieving labor pain completely. I'm sure that there has to be some catch because in other case- every woman would use it. What are the side effects of these epidural injection?

Well, you are completely right and I'm very glad that someone thinks, beside pain relieving, about possible side effects.
These injections have many possible side effects, for both- mother and child. Maternal side effects are hypotension, urinary retention and postpartum uncontrollable shivering, itching of the face, neck and throat, nausea and vomiting and postpartum backache.
Most common risks for the baby are fetal distress, abnormal fetal heart rate, drowsiness at birth and poor sucking reflex. If you want to take your chances against all this- wish you luck!

Yes I don't understand why more women don't get the epidural. I guess it would depend on your prenancy to this point. If you have had an uncomplicated pregnancy chances are you can handel the Epi, I must tell you that when the labor hit I would have taken just about anything to ease the pain.

The epi went like my pregnancy very eventless. However I am having allot of back pain now and I am doing research to find out if it is linked to the Epi or not. It has been 3 months today.

My contractions were fast and furrious and once I got the Epi all was good.
When it came time for me to push I only pushed for 20 min's and out came my 8lbs 21 1/2' baby boy healthy.

It is truley a personal choice and something I think you should trust your doc enough to have them guide you.

Good luck with your delivery, it is not as bad as you think honest.

God bless you and your new family.

AJ's mom

That was a very discomforting thing to say to someone that is already fearing labor.... You are a sick person.

I had 2 epidurals. The only "side-affect" I experienced was that it did not work on one; and only partially worked on the other. labor is painful whether you have the epidural or not for some...for others, labor goes so quickly that you dont even have a chance to think about it.... But no matter what, the end result is worth all the pain in the world...and you DO forget the pain.

Someone I know had lung surgery to remove some cysts and had an epidural for anasthesia. The doctors kept the epidural in for 3 days and then on the day they removed the epidural, this person started getting really paranoid, thought that the doctors and nurses were trying to "do her in". Does anyone have any thoughts on the subject, I could use some info on whether or not epidurals can cause brain injury or psychosis.

I had my baby about a month ago i decided to have the epidural and i had to have a emergency c section because when they gave me the epidural his made my babies heart beat go really slow and now because of the epidural i have back pain every day and i guess i was alergic to it so i have hives that will not go away but i have the most wonderful baby!!!!

As a practicing chiropractor I see many patients who have back pain after their epidural.... this is very common. In most cases they clear up over time with treatment, however, some cases linger for long periods of time even years after the epidural regardless of efforts to treat. In addition, the side effects mentioned by an earlier poster were absolutely correct and should be strongly considered before making any decision. However, epidurals are generally very safe procedures and have a very high benefit, in terms of pain relief, for the mother. But again potential side affects should ALWAYS be considered before making any medical decisions, because although it is not common for a negative side effect to occur, it should not be forgotton that they DO occur. Consequently I would recommend that you do your homework, weigh the pros and cons, and make the best, most informed decision that works most for you and your family. Regardless of your decision I wish you the best of luck to you and your upcoming birth. Feel free to email with any further questions. drjack@newlifespinal.com

Hi, my name is Kenzie and I have 4 Children. I didn't have an epidural untill my fourth child, because the thought of labor made me want the epi with this baby. I was ignorant of the fact that I was going to lose all the feelings of my body waist down. Anyways my doctor dragged once I received the epi. Then my baby's heart rate fell, so I was given something to stop her from coming. Remember, when I was given the epi my labor was induced for the baby to come, but they took forever, the doctor...and she was a resident, a resident, what was I thinking. When I was given that shot in my IV my heart bagan to beat very fast. I thought that it was going to explode. I was terrified and I began to pray! My heart continued to beat fast for about an hour or more. 17 months later my heart is still beating fast and I was given heart medicine. I have problems with my back, my legs hurt, I lost a lot of weight and muscle, I am sore. I try to run, but I can't because my legs get stiff and I feel like I am about to fall face forward. When I sit I can't get up because my legs are numb.

After 12 hours of labour i couldnt handle the pain anymore so i had a epidural then my babies heart rate dropped and i had to have an emergency ceaser ver since then i have had really bad leg pain, it wont go away and keeps gettting worse does anyone know if this is a side affect from the epidural, or is it somthing else
thanks

I was curious to know if the epidural shot could effect the child. I'm still looking online about it and nothing seems to say. I've had a delay in speech my entire life, I'm progressing as I get older. I was wondering about this because alot of people have been having mental problems that are not believed in or unspecified, all thier mothers had epidural shots. I'm hoping to get a response.

As I could find out Epidural is usually a safe for mother and a baby. But like in everything some side effects can happen. One of them is low blood pressure, but if this happens you can be given IV fluids and your pressure will be monitored. Shivering is also something that can happen usually with prolonged labor. Nerve damage, that can last up to six weeks, may cause prolonged numbness or partial weakness in one leg. Also bladder control may be lost temporarily during labor so urinary catheter may be needed.

The epi, is the best creation for pain relief ! Everyone's body is different and we must not get scared about all these bad stories of the epi. I have two kids but waited 11 years to have the second, I took the epi on my second because the pain was BAD. I have not had Any side effects like people mention. The key here is to remember that everyone's body is different and it response to us differently. Good luck to all mother's to be.. there is someone beautiful at the end waiting for you..it's well worth it. Peace

i just had my baby in january and i didnt find the epideral any help i got it at 4cm almost 5 and it wore off in the beginning and by that time it was too late for them to give me another dose . the other pain meds did more than the actual epideral plus now i experience back pain wich i never had before well good luck with your experience

My baby is on his 7th month now. Getting epid is really a personal choice. In my case I was playing it by ear but I considered getting one once labor pain get very intolerable. I am happy to say that I could handle labor pains quite well unfortunately my OB decided to give me epid to make my first labor and birth experience virtually painless. I guess she was right because once the epid started working, I coul not feel an ounce of labor pain, not even the contractions. However, the injection was very painful and a pretty tough experience for me. Something I could never forget. After 7 months of giving birth, I experience tremendous backaches. The pain is irregular or not caused by anything strenuous like lifting or so but when you do feel it, it really hurts. My husband pities me when I get these backache. Massaging it for me aggravates the pain and is even more painful than labor which I find very disturbing. When it attacks, you can barely move and it is really excruciating.

I also remember progressing labor very well up to 8cm but after a few hours of getting epidural, my baby's heartbeat fell so suddenly that they had to take him out via emergency C-section which is totally not part of our plan. I read that epidural increases the chance of giving birth by c-section however I do not know if my case proves this. If this was right, I regret getting epidural. Right now, I am focusing on improving my postpartum backaches. I also remember getting chills and shivering while and after giving birth.