Very recently (within the past 4 days) had I undergone a lumbar puncture to test for west nile/meningitis. The test itself was very painful but the Novocaine shot numbed the pain until I got home. I'm 18 and back from college for the summer. I am having serious discomfort and pain in my right hip/leg area. The tenderness and pain in my back is still evident but the pain in my low back and right leg is severe. It will come and go with waves. The Doctor said the spinal tap itself went well in and out less than 20 minutes. So leakage or headaches. I'm worried this could be nerve damage?

Any answers are appreciate thanks in advance,

SD Hunter

HI

I DON'T HAVE AN ANSWER FOR YOU, BUT i HAVE BEEN CHASING SOME CHRONIC PAIN JUST LIKE YOU DESCRIBE AROUND FOR AWHILE NOW.

I HAD ENCEPHALITIS AND WITH THAT A LUMPAR SPINE TAP. 

I HAD ASKED THE DOC AT ONE POINT AND MY HUSBAND TO TAKE A LOOK WHERE I THOUGHT I HAD NERVE DISCOMFORT IN MY BACK AND WAS IT WHERE THE SPINAL TAP WAS.  HE SAID YES, DOC SAID COULDN'T BE.

I HAVE BEEN THROUGH SO MANY MRI'S, AND ARTHRITIS TESTS AND NOBODY CAN REALLY SEE A REASON FOR THIS PAIN.  WELL I AM HEARING MORE AND THINKING MORE THAT IT MAY NOT BE THE ENCEPHALITIS THAT HAS LEFT ME WITH PAIN, BUT THE TAP.  SO MANY PEOPLE WITH E HAVE CHRONIC PAIN, AND THEY ALL HAVE HAD THE TAP.

LET ME KNOW IF YOU GET ANY FURHTER ON THIS.  I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED IN FINDING IF MORE PEOPLE ARE EXPERIENCING THIS.  MY PAIN IS ALMOST DISABLING, ESPECIALLY WITH WALKING.

FEEL FREE TO EMAIL

ANGIE

I had lumbar puncture in the month of March. And I am still struggling with headache and back pain.

But I have found some ways to get immediate relief from this. So sharing it with rest of the world.

1. Do not too much food at a time as it'll put pressure on your lumbar area and aggravate the nerve damage.

2. Do not do any weight training or bending execiese that can strain back nerves.

3. Try loosing weight. And go on half day fasting regularly. You can google and it is a proven fact that fasting helps in curing spinal damages.

4. I have been taking Indian herb 'Ashwagandha'. It has helped a lot in reduction of back pain and nerve damage.

5. Avoid sitting. Prefer walking or sleeping on your back at least for few days till your pain is normalized and gone.

6. Avoid constipation.

I know this looks a lot but it is the only way. Allopathic medicines have limited use in this strange problem.

Whatever happens I'll never get lumbar puncture done again.

are you doing physio? iv just started mine. had 5 lp's and can barely walk. lay down sit. etc, hope u get the help. do regular stretches for it. and see how u go. need to re build the muscle up. from where it has tensed so much it has pulled like 50x more worse then a hamstring cos the muscle pulled is the smaller ones under ur bigger back muscles.

I had a lumbar puncture done when I was 3 for meningitis diagnosis. Then had an epidural at 19 when I had my daughter (I didn't want one but the doctor insisted because of my high blood pressure). I had no problems until I had the epidural. Now have an area on my lower back, if you press on it, even very gently, I just about shoot through the roof. It is excruciatingly painful. I have no problems bending walking etc, but I just can't have my back touched at all. I think it depends on the dr who did the procedure as to how it affects you long term. All I know is that my epidural was inaffective after they topped it up the second time....I could feel all of the labour pains. Hence doctor error. Cause up until then I had no side effects etc from the lumber puncture/spinal tap. Hope you find the answers from a good doctor.

I understand how you feel. I had to have a lumbar puncture and the doctor took 6 goes to get fluid. Then a year later I had to have another which was done i 1 go. Then years after that I had to have another which took them 3 goes. Since then I have suffered horrendous back and head pains. I can feel the pain travelling up from where I had the lumbar puncture and it goes into my head. When I've spoken to the doctors they immediately dismiss the idea of any nerve damage without examining me. Unfortunately I don't think you will get an answer i don't think they want to admit it as they think they might be sued. I use heat on my back and ice on my head and try to sleep.