I was just diagnosed with bipolar depression, something that did not come as a great shock because me and everyone in my family had bipolar depression for a long time. I am now still in a dilemma on whether to go on medication or not. The doctor says that bipolar depression can be treated by medication, but that the side effects are often bad, and can include not feeling anything at all any more. I just want to get my life back on track and live without depression. I don't want to add more problems than I already have! What do you think? If you have taken drugs for bipolar depression, what drug for bipolar depression do you think is the best?

I understand why you are not sure about what to do about medication. I also understand that it's tempting to come on an internet forum to ask for medical advice about the best drug, but it isn't that simple, as you must know. No individual is the same, and we all react to different bipolar depression drugs in different ways. I have been taking lithium for my bipolar depression for a few years now, and for me, litium works great. But it might just be a question of trial and error. The trick is to trust your doctor and bear with it while you find the right medication.

Thank you for your reply. That does make a lot of sense. Can I ask what made you decide to go on medication in the end? How long had you known you suffered from bipolar depression, and what was your experience like? When you went on medication, what kind of side effects did you have and did they go away? Please tell me more!

I have had depression since 2000. I have tried Prozack, and Zoloft and a couple others but they didn't work. I am now on Valproic Acid ( DEPAKOTE). I have only taken some of my medication. I do have mood swings and when I don't take it I get really mad at my husband so he believes I am taking it. He calls it my crazy meds. He thinks these pills are doing more bad then helping me.

dejolane

I have found Seroquel really worked for me as a sleep aid. only.

dejolane