Hello! I need to hear what would be the most effective treatment for bipolar disorder accompanied with weird nightmares. My wife suffered serious signs of postpartum depression which turned into bipolar disorder diagnosed 2 years after her labor. I am already having hard time coping with her illness for the meds she is taking seems not to work properly- she has regular daily doses of antidepressants and Lithium which is suppose to deal with her mood changes but they don't seems to affect those weird nightmares that usually comes along with her bipolar disorder symptoms that is those weird nightmares are particularly present whenever she has mood changes and when it happens she acts weird-talk and yell on somebody or even running from some creatures chasing her. What could this be and how this bipolar disorder and weird nightmares are to be treated the best?

Sometimes patients diagnosed with bipolar disorder happens to have some extra problems with hallucinations both visual and auditory and I think that this is what your wife problem is also and that is where those weird nightmares comes from so basically those weird nightmares are just one of the forms in which hallucinations may appear. I have about the same situation in my family one of my cousins is diagnosed with bipolar disorder and after we have reported those weird nightmares he frequently has he was also diagnosed with some sort of schizophrenia for hallucinations are actually main symptoms of this psychotic disease so it may easily be your wife also has severe psychotic seizures and I think she should also be taking some antipsychotic drugs along with drugs she is already taking.

Hello. I would like to comment on the weird, abnormal dreams. I have terrifying, unreal dreams almost every night. I have been diagnosed with Bipolar II disorder. These dreams often leave me in a bad mood when I awake. Sometimes, I feel terrible all day. What do you think this could be? Is it normal for one to have these dreams with my condition??

i am having treatment for what may be bipolar and i am also suffering from really weird and bad dreams which stop me from functioning the next day . I can either be really upset and cry all the time or be in a really bad mood shouting and snapping at anything. Symptons are new to me and i am finding reading these things on the internet more informing than the doctors. I thought i was going mad i didn't realise that all these dreams are part of bipolar disorder. I also hear things like someone knocking on my bedroom door or voices and i can,t make out what is being said. I feel a bit better knowing that all this is part of bipolar and that i am not on my own.

Hi, I understand your concerns entirely. I was diagnosed 5 years ago with Bipolar 1 Disorder and I have suffered the symptoms of it since I was 4 years old. The most typical symptoms were insomnia and nightmares that were linked to feelings of abandonment or persecution (i.e. - being attacked by some outside force, being chased by monsters, etc...) and they happened more severely just before a mood change.

It is extremely common for people with any form of Bipolar Disorder to have nightmares or night terrors, to wake from them still in a state of lucid dreaming, or to wake in a state of confusion. For those of us who have a severe enough case of BP, the possible development of hallucinations quite frequently takes the form of terrible dreams.

They can be suppressed with medications, but once that begins, there's no going back. If your wife takes a medication for insomnia, it will tend to suppress the nightmares. I'm no doctor, but I can speak from experience that the nightmares and the insomnia go hand-in-hand for people with Bipolar. The strengths of each vary, but they are connected. Talk to your wife's doctor about it.

Also, this woman writes for About on the specific topic of Bipolar Disorder.

You may find some very helpful information in her newsletters and articles and there's a blog you can follow as well that will usually turn up some insightful information.

Best of luck to you and your wife, I sincerely hope you can find a solution to her nightmares.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I've been diagnosed with Bipolar 1 and I seem to always experience the bad dreams before I go into Mania. They haven't been as severe since I started taking Seroquel at night. I'm on a low dose because of how drunk it makes me. My dr also prescribed prazosin which is used for PTSD and nightmares. It blocks them out completely. It's a blood pressure medicine but they have started prescribing it to Vets coming back from the war. Talk to your dr about taking the two as a combination. I hope this helps.

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder type 1 just last year. And I have the same symptoms you do. Besides the anxiety and depression from being bipolar, I have had manic episodes, auditory hallucinations. I can hear someone talking to me but I can't understand what they are saying, but yet I will argue with them. I recently started having nightmares/night terrors. I know I am dreaming but I can't wake up and I feel like someone is holding me down and I can't breathe. Also recently I have been hearing someone whispering to me. But I don't understand what they are saying. It is so frightening. And no one understands.

I have the exact same problem, every single.night then I feel like c**p

in your post you don't say where in the world you are located so because of the legalities this solution may not be for you. I suffer the same problem and have found an effective remedy to be smoking around one gram of cannabis per week. doing so stops you dreaming and brings an end to the vivid dreams associated with the condition as a result.

this leads to much better, more restful sleep.

That's called sleep paralysis ! It happens to me too

I used to have vivid nightmares all the time, in the last one i drowned so woke up gasping for breath. since then i've found a way of eliminating them totally. all i need to do is smoke as little as one gram of good quality cannabis every week or two, while its still in your system due to its effect on the REM cycle you will not dream at all.

if you are lucky enough to live somewhere that its legal go see your doc so you can get a prescription and join a dispensary to get it, if its not legal where you are then avoid it as apart from the legalities of the situation you have no guarantee of the quality.

once you have your prescription go to the dispensary. here you can by both the drug (Hi THC strains work best) and something to smoke it in like a water bong to cool the smoke before you breath it in. i wouldn't recommend eating it as if you do it acts like a stimulant and could make matters worse.

things to take into account:

once you start taking it its hard to stop as while the last of the drug clears your system the vivid dreams/nightmares will be worse than before for a few weeks while your body readjusts to the new normal. during this few week period sleeping tablets are recommended as they will get you through the worst of it but be careful as sleeping pills are often addictive and make you feel like a zombie the next morning.

you only need to smoke a small amount at a time, smoking too much of it may give you a 'stoneover' its a bit like a hangover but with added confusion. I'd recommend just a pinch in a pipe or water bong.

the last thing i suggest is don't just take my word for it, do some research of your own of the effects of cannabis on the REM cycle and dreams and make up your own mind if is worth trying.

This article would make a good place to start. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-teenage-mind/200906/marijuana-sleep-and-dreams

Hi my name is James Bishop an I have dienose bipolor 14 years ago an now I'm having nightmares an see things I don't understand them I don't now what to do I fill like I'm losing my mind its getting harder to fight this fillings and I need to talk to somebody thank u

James, are you still out there? Did someone contact you so you can discuss your situation? Do you feel better now, or has this become chronic?
If you text to 741741, a crisis counselor should be available to assist you. I verified through Snopes quite some time ago.
I hope things are better for you.