Hi! I came across this website while doing some reading about bipolar depression. Apparently, people with bipolar almost always need drugs to help them through every day life, otherwise bipolar patients simply do not function well. What is the best drug for bipolar depression? And why? Thanks for your replies.

I would say that there is no such thing as the best drug for bipolar disorder. What works for one bipolar patient might not work at all for another bipolar patient, or perhaps with huge and unpleasant side effects. Therefore, treatment tailored to the individual patient is of paramount importance.

I understand what you are saying, but there must be some drugs that are suitable for most patients? I know there is a wide range of medication available, but which drugs for bipolar are the most commonly used ones, that work for the biggest number of people? What are the bipolar drugs that work best for the largest number of bipolar patients?

I am no medical expert on medications but I have been dealing with being bipolar since I turned 13 (I am now 19) ad have tried a number of medications.
In my opinion Zoloft has been a life saver! I am taking 150 MG and the changes have been amazing. I still days when I am moody and irrational but with some calmness and people around me who understand my problem, everything goes back to being okay.
Sunny is right though, different medcations work for different people. There really is no one pill to fix a mental disorder. A lot of people have to take a number of pills to curb bipolar disorder. I tried at least 5 different medicines before finding the one for me.
I believe its one of the most sensitive disorders because the persons fframe of mind is very fragile. With support and trial and error with meds, eventually you'll find something that works.

I know thats not exactly the answer your looking for but really there is no answer to this question because everybody's body responds differently to everything.