could some one specifiy the exact traits or charaistics used to make a diagonis of bi-polar disorder? and possibly explain a bit more about it. my brother was recently diagonised as bipolar. thanks in advance.

First off- everything depends on a few things. Age is a huge factor in Bipolar disorder, along with situational/home life.

There are different types of bipolar disorder- like Rapid cycle or types one two or three. It just depends on what he was diagnosed as.

I bounce between two and three, meaning I can go for about three months being perfectly fine, then I'll go into a manic episode where I feel invincible (like nothing can touch me, nothing can hurt me, cops wont catch me if a speed etc) then there's the depression. Depression for me can last anywhere from a day to three months. (which is another type of bipolar). You'd probably get further if you went to the library and checked out all the different types of bipolar.

Good luck~Ruby

Hi Will to start it is very true that there are three types of Bi-polar 1,2,and 3 but they are finding that there is a 4th form but they have yet to outline it . The form of Bi-polar depends on the stages of depression and manic stages and how offten some one gose into them and for how long they are in the stages . One of the best places to learn about Bi-polar is from a local NAMI group not only can they teach you about Bi-polar but they can help you learn about how to cope and they have a group for people that have a loved one or friend with an illness how to cope and help the other person to . I have to brothers with Bi-polar 1 and it is the most suvere form and we have to reaally watch them close. your best bet would be to find out witch form he is being treated for and learn as much as you can about it .
and I do agree fully with the othere poster she is going tthrough it first hand and know's more about it than I do .

For a proper analysis of bipolar, your first port of call should be the book, DSM IV. You should be able to find it at your local library.

It lists the symptoms and possible treatments for all mental illnesses that psychiatrists and other health professionals use to make a diagnosis.

Symptoms will vary depending on the person - every person's brain chemistry is different so you will have to see how things stack up against the DSM's criteria.

Good luck!