Hi. My kid is hyperactive and very impulsive. I think he suffers from ADHD. However, a friend told me that her daughter has the same symptoms and she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. How do you know if it`s adhd or bipolar disorder?

Hi. Making the difference between adhd and bipolar disorder in kids can be difficult. The main characteristic of bipolar disorder is mood cycling. However, children with bipolar disorder often have a chronic mood dysregulation. Elated mood and grandiosity are very strong sign of bipolar disorder in kids. Some other symptoms of bipolar disorder include increased energy, extreme irritability, poor judgement, unrealistic beliefs in own powers, etc. The symptoms of ADHD are inattention, hyperactivity and impulsivity. It is possible to have ADHD and bipolar disorder in the same time.