Can you tell me something about childhood bipolar disorder for that is how my brother 9 year old daughter has been diagnosed lately and to me it sounds almost unreal that a child could be having something like that? We all thought at first he just had normal emotional changes –he was sad and I figure now even depressed but there were also times he was so furious and full of energy –but we all thought you know-what an energy child. The time was running and he started having those mood changes that was so obvious and it was his mom first to suspect on something like he could be having some sort of childhood bipolar disorder. And finally all ended up with this terrible diagnose so I would appreciate now any info regarding childhood bipolar disorder –what causes it and is it treatable? Thanks!

The good thing is that he is diagnosed for you know it is not always easy to recognize childhood bipolar disorder for there are some instances that childhood bipolar disorder is much different than bipolar disorder in adults-the symptoms are usually harder and serious in children causing more severe complications in sense that there are also alternate relapses of manic and depressed episodes but are much strongly manifested and are harder to be controlled. Anyway the childhood bipolar disorder is treated basically the same as in adults so it is more likely that your brother kid from now on would be treated with antidepressants combined with mood stabilizers and if necessary he might also be prescribed some other drugs if he has anxiety or insomnia problems which is very common in childhood bipolar disorder.