I have been on birth control pills for over 7 years. About a year ago, I started experiencing very heavy cervical mucus and irritation of the cervix, which after several tests came back negative and several treatments failed - my doctor determined was probably from the high levels of hormones in my pills. She switched me to lower-dose pills and the problem went away, but ever since then, I've been having breakthrough bleeding in between periods. It never happens in the first week after my period - only in the second or third weeks. Sometimes I just bleed for a day here and there, but sometimes it goes on for at least a week. There is no cramping or pain, and it's never as heavy as a regular period. I have had several pap smears, full STD screenings, and cultures - but everything keeps coming back normal. My doctor has tried switching my pill at least three times, to no avail. Last time, she switched me to a pill that starts off with low doses of hormones and then increases it as the month goes on. I thought it might be working, as the bleeding was reduced to one day in the second week and one or two in the third. But this month, I started bleeding in the middle of the second week and haven't stopped (it's been 5 days). Could this just be from being on the pill for so many years? Could switching to a non-hormonal IUD help? Or does it sound like something more serious? I have my annual in a few weeks, but this newest bleeding has me worried.

I have exactly the same phenomenon:
I started out with a strong pill many years ago and since I switched to lower-dose pills I have in-between bleedings in weeks 2 and 3, usually not on the days just before the period. I never know when it will start or stop. This is causing quite some problems for sex, as my partner prefers not to have intercourse when it happens...but as I cannot predict it, I am stuck with having to avoid intercourse most of the time.
I have tried 6 different pills now ...also over a longer time, but it happened with all of them. I stopped taking the pill last month and the problem seems to have vanished (hopefully).
I feel a bit helpless, as I don't know how and with which pill to continue, as I would like to have safe contraception.
Also opinions upon the gynecologists I consulted about it differed on whether the pill is safe when in-between-bleedings occur.
Grateful for advice of any kind.
Thanks.

Me too! Hey, I am 20 years old, and I have been taking Ortho lo for about 8 months now, and previously was taking regular Ortho for 2 years. Within the last month since my last period, I have continued to have light to medium spotting and bleeding. This is starting to scare me. I have continued to take my pills but no change. I know orth-lo causes some spotting within the first few months, but i think this is something else. Any Ideas? Thanks!

I've been on birth control pills (all types) for about 15 years and never had one problem or any spot bleeding. A year ago I switched to Seasonale and all of a sudden this week I am having spot bleeding and I'm not due to get my period until October. It is a real pain, its not enough to use a tampon and I am avoiding intercourse as well! I'm 37 years old and have never had any gynecological problems. WHAT IS GOING ON, IS THERE SOMETHING IN THE ATMOSPHERE OR THE MOON, LOL. I feel your pain girls and I'm hoping to get some answers myself. I went on Seasonale to limit my periods, and it was AWESOME until now!

I am 21years old. after sex 3 days ago i started bleeding..not very heavily but it was bright red. I thought it would stop it has now changed to a brown colour. i am also having period like cramps.
i had my last period 10 days ago and am on the pill "celest". Have doe a pregnancy test. Which is negative. am alittle worried but embarrassed to go to my doctor.
i have been on this pill for nearly 4 years now.
My mum has endometriosis so am worried that it could be that as well. has any one else had this kind of problem.

I'm 20, I've been on the pill (Logest) for about 1-2 years, but this month I got my period after sex before my pills were over...brown at first, then red...I went to the doctor and she assumed it's spotting due to low estrogen, but the bleeding didn't stop, it went on like a normal period, for a few days. I kept taking my pills and when my period was supposed to come, a few days later, it didn't so I went to the doc again. She said that it's okay, that it happens, but I'm worried I might be pregnant with an early pregnancy (especially since i go to the bathroom a little too often lately), but I don't dare to take a test...

Im on the same pills as you and I am having the same problems, but im also very sore, lilltle worried
:-(

wow that exact thing is what happened to me. i'm sort of nervous because i have no idea what it is. i guess the only option i have is to call my gyn. sometimes i hate being a woman!

hi i have been on seasonal now for over 4yrs . Ive never had spotted bleeding before till now it started late 07 about nov . Im starting to wonder if they change how they make the seasonal. Ive been on the patch before the seasonal and never had any problems expect sometimes the patch would come off if i took a really hot bath. Ive even tried the orthring which didnt work out to well for me since I had problems getting the ring out when it was time since I dont have long fingers. But now while Im on the seasonal I started getting in between bleeding and the worse part is you dont know when its going to happen . I hate that it come s at a surpise I thought the whole thing was to not bleed. lol. I know they say you spot in between on your first year but Ive been on seasonal for years now and it just start. I hope they figure wants going on with this pill. please let me know if there are others having the same problem. It seems like I only bleed when i have to use the bathroom . or right after i wake up from sleeping . thanks alot for listening. good luck to all.

Man guys, I understand how you are feeling. I've been on the pill now for like 3 or 4 years, and I never had a problem with it, it was actually really nice, my cramps weren't as bad, my periods were shorter, it was amazing. Then out of no where like 4 months ago I started bleeding during my second or third week, at first I didn't freak out because it wasn't heavy and it only lasted a couple of days, then the next week it happened again during my second week, then again during my third week. Then I started to get cramps, the blood flow never got very heavy, but it was like I have having three periods in one month. I was still getting my normal period. So I finally went to the hospital thinking something was wrong with me. The doctor told me that I just had a hormonal imbalance and that I needed to go to my gyno and have her change my birth control until we found something that worked better for me. Problem is I get my birth control through the health department, I don't have insurance and I don't have a gyno... sooo this has continued to happen, month after month, some times its heavier some times its light, some times it last for a week or two some times its only a day or two. Some times I don't feel anything and sometimes it hurts. And like the rest of you ladies, my boyfriend doesn't like to have sex while I'm bleeding. Condoms irritate me so I don't like to use them. I don't know what to do, I'm not really scared anymore because the hospital did every test possible and I'm fine, I'm just irritated because its a pain in the butt and I just want to stop bleeding. I was thinking about maybe getting the shot instead. Which I wouldn't get a period every month, though I don't think that is very natural. Does anyone have any information about the shot? I wonder if the health department where I go even offers it... hm. Oh well that was my little rant to share with you guys, YOU AREN'T ALONE, hang in there!

I am 22 years old and I have been on the pill for years. I am doing a continuous dosage pill. This morning I was bleeding and it scared me because I have never had break through spotting before. Is it just spotting or could it be more serious? I have had a full STD check and it was negative. Has anyone else had this problem? I tried searching online for what it could be and the list was huge! If anyone has any idea why please let me know. Thank You. :'(

I am so glad i read this post, it actually made me feel a little better. I am in EXACTLY the same position, i'm 21 and after sex a few days ago i experienced bleeding just like you described. I am also on the celeste pill, i told my GP about it but he seemed to completely brush it off as nothing but it's hard to feel that way when it's appening to you. The only other thing he suggested is to have a smear test, i am somewhat embarassed about the prospect but if it helps me and gets this to stop then i'm all for it!

Hey ladies.
I have recently had this issue as well. It really worried my husband and myself. At 21 I have been on BC for 4 years now and never had this issue before. I did a little research and found a very helpful web site.
While it may tell you things you already know, it really opens your eyes to what it may be and some questions to ask the doctors.
As a paramedic I know some of this stuff can be a little scary, but let me say, DO NOT BE AFRAID TO ASK. It is your body and you are the one who knows when something is wrong.
Best of luck ladies!!!
Lyndsay

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I'm having pretty much the same problems.

I've been on Kariva for 5-6 years now, and didn't have any problems until about a year ago. First it was breast tenderness and cramping, and late periods for months at a time. The pregnancy test with my gyno was negative, so I just kind of brushed it off.
Just recently (June-now) I've been spotting for days at a time between periods, along with the breast tenderness. A few days ago, in the middle of my pill cycle, I got my period for the SECOND time this month, except it's super heavy and painful this time. I'm supposed to be having that in another 3 weeks but now I'm not so sure it will come.
I have an appointment with my gyno soon and hopefully I'll find out what the hell is going on..but this is starting to worry me.

Basically you all need to read the leaflet that come with the pill. It is a VERY common side effect of taking birth control, to have spotting, brownish or even redish discharge between periods.