I have a friend that had breat ca and is on tomaxifen its been maybe 7 mos since her radiation treatments they put her on that medication and now she wants to go in a tannig bed, i know tanning beds are bad foe anyone but i would think i would be really bas or should not even consider using them after breast ca and on tomaxifen. please confirm this so i can tell her

thanks

Yes, you are right. Tanning beds themselves have been declared as human carcinogens although they have less UVB than natural sun. UVB are the sun’s rays that contribute to cancer cells formation and aging of the skin.

As for the Tamoxifen, your friend should know that sun exposure should be avoided and protective cloths wore when in the sun. This drug causes skin sensitivity to sun and women who are using this medication need to wear sun protection factor 15 and higher to protect themselves from sun’s influence.

Thank you for your answer i tried to tell her but she is still goin in the tannig bed... you think after radiation treatment and on this drug she would know better..oh well i treid thatnks again for your answer i printed it out for her to see.

I hate the drug! I only have taken it, because enough people convinced me that I should. My prescription ran out and I have been off it for a week. I've lost 10 pounds and I feel awesome. I started taking tamoxifen in February and gained 30 pounds!!! No one told me that I could not suntan if I was taking tamoxifen. I have been out in the sun for months. I did notice that I am not tanning dark like I used to. My doctor did not tell me to stay out of the sun. (I live in Florida.) I do not want a return of breast cancer, but, I hate taking this drug. Any suggestions?

understand your position on breast cancer and tamoxifen. I am sure you are aware that being on tamoxifen for longer than 5yrs (mostly recommended by Docs) causes other cancers... As to sun exposure - it has been known that the lack of vit.D (provided by sun) is linked to cancer. Yet medical industry doesn't mention this fact and asks for not having any exposure to the sun. Ridiculous! If you are not spending time in the sun then most likely you are vit. D deprived and therefore should be taking liquid vit.D daily - 5000 iu for average female. Also, using sun screen (tones of chemicals) causes higher toxicity in your system which again adds to the risk of developing cancer. Breast cancer is typical for estrogen positive females - chemicals in eg. cosmetics, perfume, creams (sun screen inclusive) causes your system to mimic estrogen and you become cancer prone again. Please do own research and do not believe all that is said to you by medical professionals. After all it is a huge industry w/deep pockets.