I have big and ugly eczema on my arm for more then a month. I’m so desperate. I don’t know what to do with it. It’s so annoying. Somebody told me that it’s good to expose it to the sun. I’m planning to do that. Is it a good idea? Would tanning beds help your eczema?

No! Don’t do that. It will not help you. Actually it will probably make it worse. You probably know that eczema is getting worse if your skin is dry. Sun will dry your skin very much. Anyway exposing to strong sunlight can make a lot of damages to your skin.

I'm going to have to disagree with the comment above. Exposure to the sun is great for skin complaints such as psoriasis, eczema, and so on. It's the Vitamin D found in UV light that's beneficial for your skin.

Being burnt by the sun, however, wouldn't be good for your skin, it's obviously makes your skin very dry and flaky.

I must stress however that too much exposure to the sun puts you at a greater risk of melanoma (skin cancer), so it's up to you to weigh up the risks.

Hope this helps,

Dan
-Healthcare Advisor

Tanning absolutely helps with eczema. Obviously, nothing beats a good dose of steroids for these things but considering the toll on your immune system that goes along with prednisone and the like, UV ray exposure is the best natural treatment for not just eczema, but many skin conditions. i get eczema on my face and going tanning just once a week keeps it at bay.

another thing that is very helpful, at least for me, is ocean water. it's fantastic for treating eczema as well. not AS well as the UV exposure but definitely helps in the overall.

I wanted to follow up that my Dermatologist said that he cannot produce with salt baths and light therapy what a romp on a saltwater beach can improve with eczema, and he's a teaching dermatologist.

Mine is getting very annoying - on my forehead and now crusty weeping stuff on my scalp. What shampoos do you folks recommend? I also have it all over my body in varying degrees. The weeping kind keeps coming back to my ankle and tops of feet. How about edge of my eyelids.

really taking its toll on me. I try to ignore it but takes a lot more time getting ready day in and day out.

I wanted to add my experience...

I suffered with ezcema all of my life....just like little patches here and there at different times of the year....mainly change of season...I'm now 36 and the last several years I've had quite a bad case of ezcema all over my body...last year I was on prednisone on and off for the entire year...and once I stopped it completely...my ezcema was ALLL over my body...annnoying...itching..... UGLY.... bringing me to tears...because NOTHING WORKED! I've tried creams, bleach baths, etc....Well, I was finally told to 'TRY' a tanning bed...and with a little skeptisim I tried it...and within 1 1/2 weeks I was already 90% BETTER.... I know there are serious health concerns going into these beds.... even though they 'clean' them between customers I also clean it before I get in it...and I only spend about 5-7 minutes in the bed...NO MORE....a 2-3 times a week...

I still suffer with a little itchyness...but no rash.... I've searched high and low for MY cure... although I'm not cured...this certainly has improved my quality of life.... It may not be the answer for everyone...but it's worth a shot.... After all of the money I've spent on creams that don't work...prescriptions that have many side effects... I now spend $20.00 a month...for this OH SO WELCOMED reprieve from the awfulness of ezcema...

Please be sure not to over expose yourself...BE SMART ...cover the areas of you body that are not effected...

Good luck.....
A

I have suffered with excema most of my life and the only reprive i get from it is from tanning in the winter months.

i have really bad eczema.i have it on all most all my body parts. i have seen many doctors and i seem to be getting worse.i dont know what to do.would a tanning bed really help me?

Hi All,

It's interesting that ypu should all find that tanning helps your eczema.
I must say mine always improves when i've been in the sun i always thought it was just he warmer 'softer' climate as rather than the dry cold winter. I don't know i i'll try a tanning bed. I have found that cutting out dairy products has really helped to prevent any new break outsof eczema.

YES!!!! I have eczema severely and I tan & it works!
I get it from both my parents, so as you can imagine, its bad. The UV rays help eat up the eczema.

Tanning definitely works in helping control eczema. Sadly enough, the disease does not have a cure, however, over all the creams in the world I have tried, tanning is the only thing that worked. :-D

I am 60 and have been dignosed with atopic dermatitis (a form of eczema) so the derm. Doctor said. The Dr. has me using several, creams, bath oil, salts water baths, etc. nothing helps. The burning and itching is terrible. I am going to use the tanning bed and see what happens, the Dr. said no to tanning bed. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Hi, I've had eczema for well over 25 years and i can tell you sunlight works wonders for eczema.I've never tried a sun bed but i'm interested to know how you all get on!!!

I've had hand eczema for over ten years and I've tried every steroid cream/ointment/lotion available in N. America. The ONLY thing that has ever completly removed the eczema from my hands is UVA light treatments which used to be covered my my heath care. They no longer are and now cost $20 per treatment so I thought, why not just buy minutes at a tanning salon and see how that works?
It worked great! It's the only thing that will clear my eczema, and I've tried my diet, environment, everything.

Do it!! you have to start out slow, I start at 2 minutes, but you can go every day and just increase by a minute every 3 or 4 treatments, and to avoid the malanoma (sp) factor, only tan the part of you that has broken out! (ie: I only put my hands in the tanning bed... unless I'm going on vacation soon, then the tanning minutes are super handy!)

Good Luck!

I also suffer from eczema throughout the year (and sometimes it's at its worst in the summer months). My dermatologist put me through a round of UVB therapy at her office. I asked her if I could just go to the tanning beds, and she said no. It's not the same as the UVB booths that the doctor's have, but in my personal experience, tanning helps. Depending on the type I suppose... if it's "weepy" I use talcum powder. If it's dry, I moisturize with a tiny amount of vaseline and try anything and everything to take my mind off the itching sensation.