Hi all. I’ve been on minocycline for few weeks now. I’m planning to do some tanning but I’ve heard that I shouldn’t do it while on minocycline… Haven’t been told why… Is that true?? Is it safe to go tanning while on this med??? Thanks for all replies.

Minocycline is a tetracycline-type antibiotic which kills certain bacteria that cause infection, or stops their growth. It treats many kinds of infections of the skin, bone, stomach, respiratory tract, sinuses, ear, and urinary tract – I guess that one of the mentioned is the reason for you taking it. It also treats certain sexually transmitted diseases. Now, regarding your question – it is true that you shouldn’t expose your self to the sun or similar while on it. I too don’t know why, but that is the way it is. This is what I found written on one site, regarding that med: “Keep out of the sun, or wear protective clothing outdoors and use a sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or sun tanning beds or booths. If you are being treated for a sexually transmitted disease, avoid sexual contact until you have finished your treatment.”