This Native Floridian is tired of looking like a white pasty blob.

Any of you use fake tanning services or tanning beds? Many of them claim to be UV-free these days. Thoughts/concerns/regrets?

I have used self tanning products from stores before. Some had terrible results - orange tints and patchy skin! Others were pretty decent color wise, but the effect wore off quickly. I am also considering spray tanning right now, because I am as white as a sheet and like to look healthy, not anemic! If you Google fake tan studios + your area, results do come up. I saw a vegan fake tan for instance, which made me wonder if other tans contain animal products?

Anyway, I'm not sure what "brands" to look for either when it comes to fake studio tans, and advice would be appreciated here as well.

Celebrity

I'm pasty white as well, and I sure haven't always liked that fact. However, my skin looks healthier and more natural in its natural state than it does when I apply products to make it look more tanned. I have just come to accept the fact that I simply don't tan, no matter how much time I spend in the sun, and this also means I actually do look better naturally without a tan. Simply said, I am me. And what I look like is pasty white and "mysterious" if you like. There are lots of pale models about and really pale is also a fine look.

Rosie

I tan every once in awhile, but keep it to a minimum. My dad calls tanning beds "people cookers" and well he's kinda right. They have the new Mystic Tan stuff that just sprays a tan on. I've never tried this or know anyone who has.

I know several people who have used that with lots of success and they looked very natural. You apparently wear shower cap and do a couple things, then go in this shower, it sprays you down, you stand there while it dries and joila! You're tan! I think its kind of expensive but based on the people I've seen, its worth it.
I'm with Akern's dad on the electric beach, its just a people cooker. I regret ever going to one.

I'm busy trying to keep the skin cancer at bay, so I don't go for the tan. But Neutrogena makes a decent product called, appropriately enough, Sunless Tanning Lotion. What's good about it is it doesn't streak.

i have this fear that i will get stuck inside one of those things and get baked to a crisp. other than that and the fact that you are three times more likely to get skin cancer if you use tanning beds, i have no desire to use one.

i am however a huge fan of "tan-in-a-can" or the sunless tanning lotions. i am supah pastey, particularly on the lower half of my body, and the tanning lotions work pretty well. the one i like best was part of the banana boat line and wasnt too stinky. this year im going to try the coppertone endless summer lotion. my friend said it works great. ive aso used the target brand instant bronzer over my pre-lotion-tanned legs and i thought they looked great!

tanning beds = BAD NEWS

I get a decent tan despite my SPF 3,000 from running outside, regardless of temperature or time of year. I got tan at my marathon in November. I got tan during a training run in February. I got tan marks from my sunglasses at last week's race. I tan ridiculously fast, though I never used to. :shrug:

i'd never get in the same room with a tanning bed but then again, i don't think anyone over 40 would. except this one woman in our school district, she goes every day without fail and has for the past 7 years. i think the only days she doesn't is Christmas and Easter. :umno:

I knew a woman who had one in her house and she used it every day. She said it was her time to be by herself.

Now why does a piece of leather need self-time?

In Alaska, docs actually prescribe the use of tanning beds/box lights due to a high incidence of SAD. (A seasonal disorder). The tanning beds actually do help that. But, limited doses imo.