Hello! I am a redhead that looks perfect with a little suntan on. But when the winter comes I don’t have many opportunities to get the good color and I was thinking about tanning beds. Are they good for redheads? What about the possibilities of getting cancer from the tanning beds! Thank you so much for the info!

Hello! I have been reading about the difference in redheads and those with the darker skin and learned that the redheads sunburn easier and that the pigment in their skin may instigate cancer even if they don’t suffer from sunburns. You have different type of melanin and are more vulnerable to damage from the sun’s UV rays. Redheads, under exposure to the sun, developed a reaction of oxidative stress. This is where damage to DNA and cells may occur and over time, form cancer. So, even if you do use tanning beds, use them in moderations!

Actually tanning beds are Extremely dangerous for those with fair skin it is one of the biggest leading causes to skin cancer, leading to precancerous lesions that must be frozen off, spotting, and melanoma lesions. If you are going to go out into the sun or in a tanning bed (I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH!) use sunscreen. Out on the beach you can use a nice SPF 15, in a tanning bed you want to use higher SPF. (A good tip to take from this is buy non-comedogenic or "oil free" sunscreen to stop from clogging pores) You can also tan inside still using the sun through glass, the glass will act as a sunscreen, this is great for the winter. PLEASE TAKE MY ADVICE, I'm a red head too, TRUST ME YOU DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO FREEZE BUMPS OFF YOUR FACE LIKE MY GYM TEACHER!