Hi. I've been wondering about this and KI really and need help deciding. I usually tan in a tanning bed but I’ve recently found out that I was pregnant. From some I've heard that tanning while pregnant is really bad while others say that it doesn’t matter. I have to find out who is right – I really don’t want to hurt my baby in any way. Does anybody here know is tanning while pregnant dangerous for the baby or not? Should I continue tanning or should I quit? Thanks for all replies!

I work at an indoor tanning salon and saying that tanning beds emit microwaves is completely untrue. A tanning bed cannot cook your insides either, it is a horrible myth. Who could belive something that ridiculous. If you really wanted to know the truth about tanning you should do your research and visit the FDA's website.

There are no tanning beds that use "Micro-waves". That's the most ignorant thing I've ever heard.

The myth that a tanning bed or microwaves cook from the inside out is totally 100% false. A scientific experiment was done on the television show called Mythbusters to test this myth. In the experiment a raw chicken was placed in a tanning bed for hours at a time. The chicken was then removed an cut in half showing that the outside of the chicken was quite crispy while the inside was completely raw. The tanning bed cooked from the outside in rather than from the inside out. An experiment was also performed by placing a raw chicken in a microwave for an extended period of time following which the chicken was again cut in half. The chicken was cooked only on the outside, the inside was still completely raw. All tanning beds use only light to tan your skin, they do not use microwaves but regardless the fact is proven that tanning cannot cook you from the inside out. I hope this clears up the confusion over the matter :-)

I lived in a small town up until a few years ago. Years back (maybe about 20) We had 2 tanning salons in our town. A woman was getting married, and decided she needed to tan FAST apparently. She went to two different tanning salons in one day, and ended up dying. I don't know exactly WHY she died from it...but there IS a reason even the most experienced tanners are given a time limit.

I work at a tanning salon and I'm sure she did not die of that. Also I believe that an urban legend bc I've heard it before. Its completely false. Tanners are givin a time limit because the tan takes 24 hours to completely process. Meaning if you tan sooner you are more likely to burn. It has nothing to do with cooking your insides! Btw I tan pregnant women for short periods of time all the time.

Whoever said that tanning was like a microwave and would cook your inside is a Complete id**t!
They obviously have no idea what they're talking about!
It is safe to tan while pregnant but make sure you do not stay in the bed to long, you do not want your body temperature to reach over 102
If you go and tan make sure you do have a fan on high at all times and try to keep to a minimum about 3 times a week 15mins per session and you will be safe.

I've gone tanning at 2 different salong daily for about a month.. needless to say.. I did not die... and I highly doubt anyone else has either.

I used to manage a tanning salon and have had training in the industry. First off, whoever said tanning is like a microwave IS a total id**t!!! The rays emitted in a tanning bed mimic the same rays emitted by the natural sun. In a tanning bed however, these rays are controlled and limited as to NOT cause skin cancer. Those who do suffer from skin damage in a tanning bed are not taking care of their skin properly and are probably tanning way too much! Moderation people!!! Also, it is possible to die from tanning to much in one day. This is due to the fact that your internal, core temperature increases too much. Tanning beds are required, by law, to not exceed temperatures above 104 degrees, therefor, keeping your core temperature down as well. But, if you tan too much in one day you can basically overheat. RAYS EMITTED IN A TANNING BED CAN NOT AND DO NOT PENETRATE THE SKIN TO YOUR INTERNAL ORGANS! YOU CAN NOT COOK IN A TANNING BED, NOR CAN YOU 'BOIL' YOUR BABY!!!

I never took any risks during my pregnancies - I wouldn't be able to live with knowing there was the slightest risk I was putting my babies in danger. But why don't you look into other options to tan? I've been using a great self airbrush tanning system for almost a year now - I got it from after my sister-in-law demonstrated it on me, she's a beautician. The results were spectacular! Perfectly even, natural and much better looking than any visit to the tanning salon will get you.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I went tanning for the time while pregnant a couple weeks ago. I bought the year membership with all the best beds at ProTan in Summerville, SC. I spoke with the manager and asked her about tanning and pregnancy, she reassured me that it was completely fine to tan while pregnant. So I tanned in the bed, don't know what it is called, but it is the bed that will never burn you. It had a bunch of buttons above you for like the fan and all. As you can see, I do not tan much. :-) I just go for the Vitamin D and for the glow, I have an olive complexion already. Anyway, when I got in the bed for 8 minutes, the best way I can describe the feeling is rumbling in my stomach. Now, I have no clue what that feeling was but it kinda weirded me out. I didn't get out of the bed, I finished my session. Now I'm very nervous about going back... I don't think a nice tan is worth ruining my babies life over a tan. From what I hear, spina bifida, it saps out the folic acid, etc etc... Please feel free to tell me what you know about this, if you know what it is I felt. I am not making this up, I'm very serious.

ok thank you to the people who are smart enough to know that a tanning bed is not a microwave!!!. that was one of the first responses to that question and i was hoping people would have commented on that id****c answer. i hope no one took that advise. i don't know anything about tanning and being pregnant. i was looking for advise on the same subject, but i just wanted to post about how d**b that answer was. the advise that the smart people had was helpful

Your baby cannot regulate his/her body temperature like you can! If the baby is getting too hot in your uterus, it can't say "Mommy, its too hot in here, please stop". Just think about that. I don't care that the beds don't go over 104 degrees, when our baby's temperatures go above 98.5 we give them tylenol or ibuprofen to break the fever, anything over 103 in an infant is dangerous, so does it really seem ok that your body temp can get up to 104, as well as the fetus? Ask any OB or doctor if it is safe, and they will tell you NO, and either is getting in a hot tub, for the same exact reason. Its kind of idiotic to say "I asked the lady at the tanning salon and she said it was fine", is she your prenatal caregiver or a doctor, no she works in a frickin tanning salon. Just think about this, and use your head. Is having a nice sun glow that important that you would risk harming your baby? REALLY?!?!??!?!?

DO NOT TAN IN A BED IF YOU ARE PREGNANT.... PERIOD! It is VERY damaging to the spinal cord of your baby. If you need to tan a little and a spray or lotion is NOT an option for you. Lay out, wear a sun screen and drink LOTS of water to prevent dehydration. It has nothing to do with "cooking your insides" but loss of vitamins and hydration that are vital for your babys growth.

this was just as funny to read as it was informative.. thanks to all the salon owners