I had bunionectomy. Doctor made a removal of a portion of my toe (excessive bone tissue that had formed around the bunion) and for replacement- to keep or fix the toe correctly aligned he used screws. The post operation time went well, but since the fixation of screws I can feel the changes in whether. Is removal of screws after Bunionectomy possible?

Hey,
Since your screws are fixed their removal is less possible. This is one of the risk of Bunionectomy- damage to foot blood vessels or nerves, but I think that by removal of screws even greater damage would be done.

I agree with that one. I went through this so I do know a lot about it. I can't say that my experience was that painful, only thing that really bothered me after the surgery was a painful little toe. Generally, to cut long story short, I had the plate, wires, and screw removed from my bunion surgery. I think that I had removed it after three months exactly. Well, that was kind of painful. But I was able to wear my shoes normally after it, I was able to walk, sure I was careful, but it was OK. No damage in my case. 

I just had a bunionectomy last week.. my doctor removed the bunion,cut a v shape in my toe and realigned it and screwed it in place with a screw. he told me he can remove the screw once the bone heals itself which would take about 2 months. He also told me that the positioning of the screw determines the level of arthritis and how much you feel it in your future... he assured me I shouldn't know it is there..... based on this informaiton I would think your doctor should be able to remove it.... although every situation is different.

I'm having screws removed from my foot on 2/28/07, this is my second time having it done, I had my right foot done a couple of years ago.

interesting. i'm having screws removed from the one bunionectomy i had done on my right foot on 2/28/07 as well. i had the surgery done almost 7 yrs ago and it came back within the year and all i was in was a tennis shoe. regardless, my present doctor who is removing the screws and told me not to do the surgery b/c i was too young (19 then) has found that one screw is going through my bone causing more pain and therefore i am having them removed.

him and a very good physical therapist in my area have told me getting the screws removed is generally not a problem at all, however if it will be for me having been in so long, i do not know. my experience has however left me not wanting to do any future surgery where hardware is supposed to remain in bone.

I had two bunionectomies done in 2005. I had a plate put in one foot, due to problems, which was removed a couple months later. I've been having pain in the other foot, where the screw remains. My doctor is trying to determine if the screw is the problem or if I fractured a metatarsal bone. I think it's the screw. He said he can easily remove it, and the recovery should be only a week or so.

Why would your doctor have any problem finding out if its a fractured metatarsal or not? Shouldnt a simple x-ray be enough?

Bothers me that I saw two doctors and only one pointed out that my screw was obviously going through the bone in the x ray. Sometimes docs don't know it all... and that worries me. Ha.

I have had 2 bunionectomies. One in 2005 and one most recently in 2007. The first was less complicated and required a temporary pin that came out on its own. I have had no problems with that foot. The second surgery required more extensive measures and it was necessary to go further up the base of the foot and 2 titanium screws were required. It has been 4 months now and I am having the screws removed on 2/6/2008. The screws are stable yet are still causing pain and swelling with movement. I am told the procedure is very simple. Some people respond differently to foreign objects in their bodies for different reasons. Personally, I would rather not have the screws in my foot and risk potential problems in the future. The foot is very sensitive to weather and if you are young and become pregnant in the future you may have difficulty with pregnancy related edema.

I'm a 61 year old diabetic male, High BP, Edema, clots in past in leg. Had radical bunion done in 95. Wedge was taken out of large toe right foot. Screws were put into the toe. Some seperation occurred and it never really healed well. I had it redone in 2000 the 2nd toe was also shortened. Now it is 2011 and I am on disability and can't walk very far and have trouble standing for short periods. When I go shooping I have to lean on a cart to get through the store. All the thing Iused like to do I can't. Now I'm starting to get stabbing pain on the top of my toe near the screws. I haven't been hard on my foot at all, I can't be. Don't know where to go from here. Neuro Doc did the last surgery, I'm afraid of going in for surgery and waking up without a foot.

Have you tried to locate an Orthopaedic Surgeon that did both the Ortho Residency as well as a Fellow in Ankles and Feet?  There is an organization of American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society http://www.aofas.org/Pages/Home.aspx (to locate a surgeon see http://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/find-a-member/Pages/find-a-member.aspx).   I'm sorry to hear of your plight.  If possible, can you get to a large university hospital and/or get multiple opinions before proceeding with additional surgery(s).  I just had a screw removed from an old bunionectomy that was done 25 years ago; so that my reoccurring bunion could be fixed (they tend to come back after 20 or so years).  I did a lot of research and talking to friends prior to having this done because I knew my feet were a mess.  I figured having the old screw removed would be a big deal (I also had hammertoes pinned, Morton's Neuroma repaired and a soft tissue growth removed from the bottom of my foot).  I can't tell you what my final outcome will be, but I hope my research pays off because I will have similar procedure done with my left foot later this year.  If you are able to have your foot successfully treated, keep in mind you will have a longer recovery time then a typical first time bunionectomy (I know I will).  You've been used to walking with some sort of assistance and (probably) incorrectly on your foot (naturally you needed to accommodated your foot so that you could walk).  As a result, you may have to go through a learning curve to walk correctly on your improved foot.  It's hard to be persistent when you feel so frustrated ... but I hope you can find the strength to find the right Orthopaedic Doctor to help you!  Good Luck!

I had bunion surgery 7 months ago and have been in agony since. I was told I should be able to weight-bear immediately after surgery and it was the most excruciating pain of all time. I was on crutches for 6 weeks and wasnt supposed to need them. I felt like my foot was in an animal trap with metal teeth clamped into it. The doctor ignored all my protests of pain and lack of progress. Now, 7 months later, he recognises something is seriously wrong. Problem is that now I'm 4 mths pregnant. I am planning on having the screws taken out straight after I give birth! So that will be 14mths or so after the original surgery. I can feel them in my foot, and have been able to from the beginning. The whole ball of my foot feels inflamed and sore, and I get a shooting pain down the centre of the foot through the big toe. I am hopeful this will fix the problem and it isn't permanent nerve damage. My advice to all considering bunion surgery - DO NOT DO IT! I was in pain before but this is 100 times worse and more debilitating. Unless your foot is so deformed and twisted under and painful that it actually prevents you from walking - DONT LET ANYONE NEAR IT WITH A KNIFE! Especially not at 32 yrs of age. Just my advice!

yes it is

I had the screws removed but found out a tip of a screws was left in. I know because the OR gave them to me and after obtaining my medical records the doctor put in his report screw were taken out with out breakage. He never took post op xrays I still have pain is this normal?

Wow I feel for you! I feel like you and I had a very similar terrible experience. Fortunately for me I am not pregnant dealing with this. I know you posted this over a year ago but I'm wondering how everything turned out?