I had a very bad auto accident and needed rods to support both my left tibia and fibula. After approx, 3 months of PT my doctor said I could walk on my own or use a cane or both. At some point I sheared all 5 screw heads on the vertical rod of the tibia. This pushed to rod away from the bone. Approx 3 weeks later, the pressure put on the fibula caused it to fracture just above the rod. This caused my foot to roll over to the outside and forced me to walk on the outside of my foot. My foot would not go flat on the floor and deformed my leg to look like the letter "C"
Has anyone heard of screwheads all popping at once. I seems very unique to me.
Thanks for any and all help...Tom

My mother in law just had an x-ray 3 months after breaking her leg. The doctor told her to put her boot back on for three weeks. I am worried that the breaking of the screws will cause undue stress to the fracture and your story really scares me (sorry). The doctor said it is unusual but said nothing further. He did say that it has not caused any difference where the leg was broken but I wonder if it will. Your posting was the only one I could find and I wonder if it may have something to do with the screws malfunctioning? Please let me know if you have found anything out since.
Thanks. I have never used this site before and don't know if I have to go into it again to see your reply so I am sending my email as well. Budo1440@msn.com. Thanks again,
Alison