Hi, I have a twenty nine years old friend. I have known him my entire life. There was nothing wrong with him, until the last few months. He suddenly changed. One day he came to my house and complained that his wife is cheating on him. He also said that he has proof of this. I couldn't believe what he was saying because I know that his wife really loves him. The things got worse as the days passed. He became suspicious that some of our friends are spying on him. Because of this behavior they all stopped hanging out with him. I can see that he has severe problem and that his wife can't endure his torture any longer. Can you tell me what has caused this paranoid behavior?

Hi, I can see that your friend has serious mental problem. All the things you described are consistent with the symptoms of paranoid personality disorder. This condition is inheritable. You should try to find out if someone from your friend's family suffered from paranoid personality disorder. If that were to be the case, it shouldn't surprise you that your friend is dealing with this kind of disorder. The trouble with paranoid personality disorder is that the patient often refuses treatment because he believes that everyone is against him. If you want to help your friend, talk to the psychiatrist about the best way of approaching and convincing him to go and see a professional therapist.

I dont use this site, just trying to see what stuff was out there, this was the first post I read and will be the last,

hardly any information given, and the information given could be viewed different by many people, it could also be consistent with thousands of situations and if you must conditions

yet response is - ''has serious mental health problems' and 'consistent with the symptoms of paranoid personality'

what! This is a great reminder as to why reading half the stuff on these so called medical sites especially regarding mental and emotional health is really quite dangerous. From that post there is no way anyone should metion what you have cheri

Please let me remind you that in no way does this site claim to provide medical advice, nor does it claim to be the advice of medical professionals. What you read is the opinion of a member. And this peron is entitled to their opinion, just as you are.
BTW, I personally see nothing that can be construed as 'dangerous' in that opinion. I feel that was a little exaggerated on your part. Just my opinion...And I think that the post was fairly on the mark, to be honest.

From what I've read it seems like your friend does have paranoid personality disorder. I think my mom has it and I'm doing my research on it right now to find out how to approach her, get treatment for her, etc. It's extremely painful to watch her behavior. From what I've read it can either be genetic or a traumatic childhood experience.