My best friend told me that he thinks that he is suffering from paranoid personality disorder. He is nuts, whenever he reads about any disorder, he immediately thinks that he is suffering from it because of the symptoms and stuff. Well, this time he says that he is 100% sure that he is suffering from it and that he is going to talk to his doctor in order to get the diagnoses.

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience when it comes to this disorder, could anyone maybe tell me what are the causes of paranoid personality disorder and how could the doctor identify it?

The cause of paranoid personality disorder is unknown but scientists believe that it has a lot do to with biological and environmental factors and that these can lead to paranoid personality disorder.

This disorder is usually present more often in families with a history of schizophrenia and delusional disorders and early childhood trauma can as well be a contributing factor. If your friend had anybody in his family suffer from any kind of mental disorder he might be more prone to suffer from paranoid personality disorder.

A doctor cannot diagnose someone with paranoid personality disorder, this is usually diagnosed by a psychologist or a psychiatrist.

Not really, nobody in his family has ever suffered from any kind of disorder, he actually checked this out because of another disorder that he thought he was suffering from. I told you that this happened before as well, from time to time he comes to me saying that he is suffering from another disorder, I am telling you that he is losing his mind.

I don't know why did I even ask about this, maybe because I think that he might be paranoid, I mean, look at how he is behaving, every now and then he thinks that he is suffering from some disorder.

He is just exaggerating as he always is. I know a person who acts the same way as he does and I don't have anymore patience for this person, I have no idea how are you still handling what your friend is doing, you are even helping him. I gave up on my friend completely.

Well, I seriously doubt that your friend is suffering from paranoid personality disorder but if you really want to help him, the only way for him to know for sure is to talk to a psychologist. Also, if he is suffering from any other kind of disorder, this psychologist will know.

Hi there. The main cause is unknown, but I do believe that you know a lot about it. Now, people who are diagnosed with paranoid personality disorder are generally characterized by having a long  -standing pattern of pervasive distrust and usually they suspect to some other people, usually for no reason. A person with this type of disorder will nearly always believe that other people’s motives are suspect or even malevolent. They also believe that people will harm them, even if they don't have any evidence of this. 

This diagnose psychiatrist will identify very easily, because paranoid people are really easy ones to recognize, especially when you are an expert. 

Hi folks! Unfortunately, like in many other heavy issues, the specific cause of this disorder is unknown as well. I was talking to my doctors about this several times, but they didn't have adequate answer on my question. All that I do know is that it appears to be more common in families with psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia and delusional disorder, which suggests that genes may be involved. So maybe that is the cause, but if doctors can't tell, who can? Paranoid personality disorder can result from negative childhood experiences fostered by a threatening domestic atmosphere. Maybe something has happened in the past? 

You should not be afraid about setting the diagnose. Doctors can easily recognize it, even if they don't know what the cause is. Generally, I was reading a lot about this disorder when my sister was diagnosed with it. I know that the trend of this disorder appears to be more common in families with psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia and delusional disorder. Yes, we did have one relative in our family who was diagnosed with schizophrenia, so I can say that this diagnose was not a surprise for us. Also, I do know that the condition appears to be more common in men, but as you can see - there are no rules about this. 

It is nice that people in here trying to help you. I found help in here so many times, but whenever you have something like this, it is better to seek for professional help. So, whatever you want to know about paranoid personality disorder you should ask your doctor. Like you could read, no one can tell you what are the exact causes. It is definitely less common than schizophrenia, but it is still there. Also, paranoid personality disorder is diagnosed based on a psychological evaluation and according to that test, the health care provider will consider how long and how severe the person's symptoms are.