I'd really like to get some facts about this topic. I haven't been able to search very well, so I do apologize if there is already something here that I missed somehow. In relation to acrodermatitis enteropathica, is it possible for adult people to be diagnosed with this? Generally, I think it should be caught and treated well before adulthood but I am unaware of the details. Please do contribute.

Acrodermatitis enteropathica is an autosomal recessive condition associated with a Zinc deficiency. Adults can have zinc deficiency and have very similar symptoms, difficult to differentiate from the congenital form.

My research says that adults with symptoms of Acrodermatitis Enteropathica(AE) may likely have zinc deficiency which is different from AE. AE is genetic and will be discovered soon after birth. Zinc levels are the only way to diagnose. Acquired zinc deficiency is something that happens to adults. It's either from alcoholism, lack of zinc in diet, or other issues where the person is not getting zinc into their body like before. If someone has AE they will know it about 1-2 weeks post birth.