Hello everyone,

I've recently heard about this condition or disease called dextrocardia which is the first time that I have actually heard about it. One of my relatives has it, he isn't that close to me so I am not very sad or anything, I don't even know if it is dangerous or not, but I am curious to know what it is.

I would appreciate it if someone would tell me what this actually is and how dangerous it is. Then, does anyone happen to know how is one diagnosed with it and what are the treatment options for this matter?

Dextrocardia is a rare heart condition in which your heart points toward the right side of your chest instead of the left side. Dextrocardia is congenital, which means people are born with this abnormality. Less than 1 percent of the general population is born with dextrocardia.

There are two types of dextrocardia, regular dextrocardia and isolated dextrocardia. Isolated dextrocardia usually causes no symptoms. The condition is usually found when an X-ray or an MRI of your chest shows the location of your heart on the right side of your chest. Since both of these types are congenital, it is unknown what is causing these.

Hey Stradivarius,

Dextrocardia must be treated if it prevents vital organs from functioning properly. Pacemakers and surgery to repair septal defects can help the heart work normally.

The doctors will prescribe antibiotic medications to prevent infection if your spleen is missing or not working properly. Long-term antibiotics may be used to fight off respiratory illness. Medications can reduce your risk of infection. You may have more infections than the average person if you have dextrocardia. The surgeries are usually the best possible option out there with the best possible outcomes. They are usually very successful and end without any dangerous complications.

Your doctor will also watch out for an abdominal obstruction. An abdominal obstruction, also called bowel or intestinal obstruction, prevents waste from leaving your body. Your heart pointing towards your right side makes blockages in your digestive system more likely. This is because dextrocardia can sometimes result in a condition called intestinal malrotation, in which your gut doesn’t develop correctly.

Intestinal obstruction is dangerous, and it can be life-threatening if it’s left untreated. Surgery is required to correct any obstructions. As you can see, this abnormality can be pretty much dangerous so it is very important that it is treated at the very moment it is found out that a person has it.

Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for your replies.

I didn't realize that this was a congenital thing. I mean, since it is a congenital thing, wouldn't he have found out that he has this abnormality a long time ago? Unless he has that isolated dextrocardia that Guest mentioned above, but I remember that my relative said only dextrocardia, I would have remember if he said isolated.

Well, like I told you, we aren't very close but now that I heard how dangerous it can be, I have to say that I am kind of sorry for him, I hope he gets to be alright. 

Good day there. My good friend is having problem with dextrocardia. This is actually a very rare anomaly, where the heart is located on the right side of your chest, instead of the normal left side of the chest. When we are talking about this condition, we should mention that this condition in the patient is generally asymptomatic, but it is very often associated with some other abnormalities such as inverted location of some other abdominal organs. I am not sure about the treatment options what they are, since you cannot fix this anomaly, so I guess that it is treated with medications.

Good day people. This is also a condition that is present at the birth, so that means that this is congential. About the causes, I think that doctors don’t know a lot about it. I know that during the early weeks of the pregnancy, the baby’s heart develops but sometimes it turns so that it points to the right side, instead to the left side like is with almost every human. The reasons and the main cause of it is unclear. There are several types of dextrocardia, so according to the type doctor will find the best treatment. Complete mirror image of dextrocardia with no heart defect also requires no treatment. But it should be controlled.

Good day everyone. I believe that the only way to diagnose dextrocardia is by the ECG or imaging. My friend had this technical dextrocardia and I don’t know is this similar or different from usual dextrocardia, but he told me that this type of dectrocardia refers to an ECG reading that has no basis in the patients anatomy. Now, this apparent presentation of dextrocaria is caused usually by the technician inadvertently swapping limp leads on a 12 lead ECG. You should control it all the time because sometimes it can occur that therapy that your doctor prescribe you is not that good as it should be, maybe your body will start to refuse it occasionally.  

Hello folks.

Usually patients who develop Dextrocardia are often diagnosed even in the course of fetal development through ultrasound images. When it comes to the treatment, well treatment of the disease itself is often supportive and symptomatic only as most people who carry the disease lead a normal life and are not at threat. In some cases where a medical patient manifest serious human heart malformations, potential treatments always can usually depending on the malformation. Families who have history of this genetic disorder are also advised to take counseling to help them cope with the disease. Although, genetic alterations are now on progress still it is not a proven effective way of treatment.

Dear sir my age is 27 . Yester day my chest x-ray report done n see my hear was right side