Ok, so I am at school, and sitting in class. The teacher calls on me and I feel my chest tighten, and I hardly stutter the first word out. I blush, and get sweaty and sometimes if its really bad my hand goes numbish. I have no problem talking in an easy enviroment, but when I get put on the spot in a public enviroment, I freeze up and feel sick. Is this social anxiety disorder? If so, what can I do?

I get the same exact thing!
Sometimes you will start to feel dizzy and whatnot correct?
Around friends and family I feel fine but when I am in public places I get anxiety.
Perhaps a fear of approval from peers? or being seen as less inferior than others?
sorry rambling.

Celebrity
It's definitely anxiety, but sounds more like general anxiety than social to me. Social anxiety tends to be more related to having anxiety in more basic social situations like going out with friends or to clubs etc rather than from being put on the spot. Learn to counter your thoughts in a TEA form which is a CBT exercise if you want to deal with your anxiety. They are great for taking most stress/ anxiety away.

Social anxiety is typically fear, dread or nervousness in situations involving people - either just being around people, having to interact, fear of being watched/judged/criticized/rejected, etc. Some symptoms are sweating, blushing, trembling, pounding heart, nauseating feeling, stuttering, etc.

Is this "class situation" the only one when you feel this way? The reason I ask is, specifically there is something called Performance Social Anxiety where it occurs in very specific situations like speaking/eating//performing in public, dealing an authority figure/persons perceived to be more "powerful", etc. But if you are affected in other areas of your life you might have Generalized Social Anxiety.

First of all it is best you right-away consult a qualified doctor who does a proper diagnosis and advises you. It is very important to identify the correct "adviser" for your problem as this is critical for a successful handling of the condition. You should be able to freely discuss your problems and fears with him/her, and the person listens to you and does not shut you out by prescribing something. Change if you are not comfortable. You'll need a good partner in solving this problem.

While you look around for a good advise or even if you are already undergoing a therapy, there are many things that you can do on your own. I have come across a good mechanism that is becoming increasingly popular called the one step technique. Some experienced therapists use as well as recommend this. If you can send me a mail at ************I can give you more details.

Take heart that you very likely have something that can be sorted out in a short period of time, and you yourself can aid the process. It is said that this is the third largest disorder in the US after Alcoholism and Depression and afflicts nearly 15 Million American adults - so you are definitely not alone!

Take Care