Hello everyone. Since I have a cat, I was reading a lot about those diseases that she can get. I have to say that sometimes I was spending days and days trying to find out what are the most common disease in cats. I have to say that I was thinking that Addison’s disease is one of them, but a few days ago I found one article. I found this sentence – Addison’s disease is relatively rare in cats. Do you know why is Addison’s disease relatively rare in cats? If cat has Addison’s disease, what are the symptoms?

I am really curious about this subject :)

Hey there. I can’t believe. I was just reading article about this a few days ago as well. I was really curious about this, and I am always able to sit for days until I see if there is something new that I should know. My boyfriend is telling me that I am really too nervous, but I can’t help it. It is totally rare in cats, but I am not so sure why. I know that cats with this ugly disease become weak, inactive, and they have some stressful period – you can see this. Also, they can develop stomach – aches, diarrhea, weight loss, nausea, depression. Some of cats can just collapse without any warring. If you see any of those symptoms, a simple blood test can confirm does your cat has Addison’s disease or not. 

Hello, guys.

I overheard a conversation between two vets when I been to clinic for my cat’s vaccination. They talked about same topic as you two and conclusion was that Addison’s is rare condition in our feline friends.

Why is that, I cannot tell. I think it has something to do with the fact that cats’ adrenal gland are less prone to malfunction. I read online that Addison’s is caused (besides the atrophy of adrenal glands) from the use of corticosteroid drugs, infection or even a cancer. So, it is good news for us that our cats have slim chance to get Addison’s. 

The reason why this disease is less common in cats is not really familiar. It turns out that cats’ adrenal glands are less likely to stop producing corticosteroids. That is much more common in dogs.

I think that Addison’s disease is actually an autoimmune disease. That basically means that the cat’s own immune system is attacking its adrenal glands.  Similar to every other autoimmune disease.

And with autoimmune diseases you never know.

I have an autoimmune disease myself and even though I’ve read several books about it, I still can’t really understand does it happen that the immune system starts attacking its own body.

Hello. I had a dog with Addison’s disease and I can say that it is also uncommon among dogs. I know a lot of pet owners and not once did I hear someone say their pet has this disease.

I also think that there is no specific reason why is this disease less common among cats. Like Mia said, with autoimmune diseases you never know.

It really is extremely rare among cats and I like that. I really could not take it if one of my cats got it too.

I remember how hard it was to deal with this disease while my dog was alive. He grew old despite of this disease.

Hello. I know that my friend had dog with Addison’s disease, but I never have heard that cat can get it. Maybe because it is relatively rare in cats, right? I mean, there is no other option. I have to say that I was really surprised when I started to read this topic, because I really didn’t know that cats can get Addison’s disease. What are the symptoms? I am asking this because my neighbor's cat is acting really weird lately. She was really active, now she is not active at all, she is just lying on the pillow and that is it. Now, I am worried and I hope that this is not Addison’s disease :/ 

Hey there. I did some research as well, because I find this subject very interesting, and I think that we all should know more about this. It is much common in dogs than cats, but your cat can get it as well. Because Addison’s disease is rare in cats, when it does affect them, they can be treated so well. I think that most difficult thing about this disease is properly diagnosing, because symptoms are very similar like symptoms of other diseases as well. If is well diagnosed, it can be treated with meds really good. Addison’s disease is a condition that is caused by a deficiency of certain hormones produced by your cat’s anal glands.