I don't mean to generalize. I'm 50-50 black/Korean. Sometimes the whites of my eyes turn yellow. Usually it's when I'm tired or dehydrated. Why does this happen? Some black people have yellow eyes-whites, more than sometimes. I've always wondered why.

I am pretty sure that it is a rather benign condition called Gilbert's disease.

Many fair to dark-skinned races, such as Filipinos and African-Americans and others, have profound deposits of subconjunctival fat. This contains high levels of carotene in adequate quantities to mimic jaundice. The fatty deposits grow to be denser as the distance from the cornea increases.

There is a long list of conditions wherein jaundiced sclera can be found. Liver disorders could be one of the causes. These include hepatitis, drug-induced cholestasischolestasis, cirrhosis, congenital disorders of bilirubin metabolism, Dubin-Johnson syndrome, Gilbert disease. Another is gallbladder and bile duct disorders: Biliary atresia, blockage of the bile ducts, gallbladder and bile duct cancers and primary biliary cirrhosis.

i know someone with that disease and it is charaterized by a a slight uncontrollable shaking like jitters that can only be helped by diet and exercise is what his dr's told him.

Gilbert's is a transient increase in bilirubin levels due to decreased enzymatic function of the enzyme that conjugates your bilirubin (you get a build up of unconjugated bilirubin which can not be excreted from your body). Under stress conditions your body can not keep up with the overload and you get transient jaundice which resolves and the stressors do. It is rather benign but could explain the random incidence of jaundice. To my knowledge it dose not involve seizure like activity.

That's false because I have it. It is beign your liver just can't process bilirubin well.

Build up of melanin

Son of a ...

It is not more than sometimes............if fact it is not that common. it is associated with liver problems, hepatitis, and gilberts disease. In fact it is more common in eat America and Africa. I am black and my parents are both mixed............NOWHERE in my Entire FAMILY HAVE WE HAD YELLOW EYES..............THATS LIKE SAYING THAT I HAVE NEVER SEEN A FAT ASIAN AND MORE THAN SOMETIMES THEY ARE SKINNY.........VERY RUDE.

I'm pretty sure the original post was meant to say that she gets yellowing sometimes, but she has noticed that other black people have yellowing that isn't just sometimes. I don't think she meant, "more often than not, black people have yellow eyes." This person even said that they were half black. Jeez, people, quit being so sensitive, and if you're going to attack people and call them rude, pay attention to what they were saying and whether or not it was really rude.

i believe the yellow in the eyes is genetic because I have it and my father has it and my mother has it. I use visine but it doesn't help the problem at all.

Ok over-sensitive black person

Bilirubin is a brownish yellow substance found in bile. It is produced when the liver breaks down old red blood cells. Bilirubin is then removed from the body through the stool (feces) and gives stool its normal color...
Please don't make up stuff. If you know the answer then please share...Thank you.

Some black people have yellow tinted eyes because of the heavy concentration of melanin present in their sclera--- the white part of the eye.
Melanin is also responsible for the color of one's iris and one's skin tone. Palms and soles of feet lack great amounts of melanin so the color is more uniform in all people.
Additionally, many people in Africa that live in poverty tend to have higher than average issues with their livers, causing a build-up of old red blood cells. This is known as cirrhosis. This most commonly occurs with premature / malnutrition newborns as well as adults who have not been treated properly.

I'm African and I know for a fact that a lot of black peopl have yellowish eyes.