Hi everyone,

I am 29 years old and my girlfriend is 26. We really love each other, I think that we have found our soulmates. She is suffering from depression and she has these panic attacks from time to time but I don't mind it that much, it never changed what I think or feel for her, and I'm trying my best to help her in any way I can.

I'm writing this because I recently found out, at least I heard about it, that vitamin D can help you if you are suffering from depression or having panic attacks. Does anyone know if this is true?

Some of the receptors in the brain are receptors for vitamin D, which means that vitamin D is acting in some way in the brain. These receptors are found in the areas of the brain that are linked to the development of depression. For this reason, vitamin D has been linked with depression and with other mental health problems.

Exactly how vitamin D works in the brain isn’t fully understood. One theory is that vitamin D affects the amount of chemicals called monoamines, such as serotonin, and how they work in the brain. Many anti-depressant medications work by increasing the amount of monoamines in the brain. Therefore, researchers have suggested that vitamin D may also increase the amount of monoamines, which may help treat depression.

There are a number of strong research studies from the last few years that looked specifically at vitamin D levels and depression.

In a review of the research about vitamin D and depression in 2013, researchers  analyzed all of the published research about depression and vitamin D up until February 2011. They included the high quality research studies that explored whether a lack of vitamin D in the blood is linked with being depressed, a lack of vitamin D in the blood makes it more likely an individual will develop depression, and taking a vitamin D supplement can improve or prevent depression. The research found that people with a low level of vitamin D in their blood had more symptoms of depression.

Hi there Deni and Guest,

Thank you very much for you replies, I concluded that my girlfriend could really benefit from Vitamin D regarding the stuff that you wrote so I'm going to talk to her about it.

However, there are still things that you can help me with. I don't know much about Vitamin D. I don't know what is it the main ingredient of so I would like to know, if anyone can tell me this, which foods contain the most of Vitamin D, and is it possible to buy these in pharmacies, like, in the form of a pill or something?

Hello there. I was reading about this as well, but I can tell you that I have never tried to use it to see is this going to help deal my depression. One of my friends told me that she was feeling really bad before she realized that vitamin D can help in fighting her depression. So, she tried to convince me to use it as well, but of course I was a little bit skeptical about this. Why you people consider that vitamin D can be that good? Because I have tried to seek those information on the internet, but I didn't have any success. 

Hannah,I think that you should read some posts up there. People tried to explain why is or why is not vitamin D good for the depression. But, OK, since I have experience with it I will try to help you, since I am pretty sure that I do know what do you want to know. The main link between depression and vitamin D deficiency symptoms has been established in kids and adults as well. Vitamin D has connection with depression and you should look up for D3 form - that is actually the same vitamin that is obtained through sunlight.

That is so true! You have a point. Produced in the body when the body is exposed to sunlight, vitamin D has been hailed as the “sunshine” vitamin with many therapeutic attributes.That is why everyone consider sun as the best friend of the human. Lack of sunlight has been linked with mood disorders—especially seasonal affective disorder. Because of it, there is a good rationale for investigating the association between vitamin D deficiency and increased risk of depression. When we are out of the sun, we are depressed. That is why experts believe that vitamin D can help in fighting against depression.

I don't know about you, but trust me - I have tried everything and anything that possible could help me in dealing with depression and panic attacks, and I didn't find a lot of those things that can be helpful to me. I also have heard this about vitamin D, but when I tried to fight my depression with vitamin D, it didn't;t helped me. I am not saying that vitamin D is not good, all that I am trying to tell is that it didn't help me at all. I think that it can minimize it, but it can't be a winner against depression.