Hello everyone,

A good friend of mine thinks that he has this disease or condition called a tetralogy of fallot. Apparently, this is a rare condition caused by a combination of four heart defects that are present at birth, I don't think that he had any defects present at his birth but he still thinks that he has this condition, he is so stubborn and close-minded.

Anyway, he asked me if I could find out signs and symptoms of this condition so that he could compare them to the ones that he is having. Can anyone help me out with this, does anyone know about these signs and symptoms?

Hey Bee,

Tetralogy of Fallot symptoms vary, depending on the extent of obstruction of blood flow out of the right ventricle and into the lungs. Signs and symptoms may include a bluish coloration of the skin caused by blood low in oxygen (cyanosis), shortness of breath and rapid breathing, especially during feeding or exercise, loss of consciousness (fainting), clubbing of fingers and toes — an abnormal, rounded shape of the nail bed, poor weight gain, tiring easily during play or exercise, irritability, prolonged crying, and a heart murmur.

I'm guessing that he won't have any of these regarding what you wrote above.

Your friend couldn't possibly have tetralogy of fallot. You said it yourself, it is a rare condition caused by a combination of four heart defects that are present at birth, and he didn't have any of these heart defects.

This is easiest to notice in babies. Sometimes, babies who have tetralogy of Fallot will suddenly develop deep blue skin, nails and lips after crying or feeding, or when agitated.

These episodes are called tet spells and are caused by a rapid drop in the amount of oxygen in the blood. Tet spells are most common in young infants, around 2 to 4 months old. Toddlers or older children might instinctively squat when they're short of breath. Squatting increases blood flow to the lungs.

Hey Bee,

First of all, your friend needs to see his doctor because he obviously has some symptoms which, by the way, have nothing to do with tetralogy of fallot. This is a condition that is very common in babies and you can rarely see it in adults.

He needs to make an appointment with his doctor in order to find out what disease or condition is he having. He mustn't let it progress since it can be dangerous, what it is, so he should start treating it right away. Since he is a friend of yours, you can certainly have some influence on him,

I didn't think either, Guest, that he has this tetralogy of fallot thing, but I asked this anyway, now I see that it was kind of stupid actually.

And I was stupid, of course I have some influence on him, I could have told him right away to go and talk to his doctor and I didn't, I let him do it his way, how dumb.

On the other hand, is it possible that he really has this condition? Is it possible that his doctor didn't see these birth defects when he was little and that he actually had them and they led to his condition?

Good day there.
I know that symptoms can vary from person to person. For example, I didn’t have some ordinary symtpoms that can show that I am dealing with teratology of fallot. But some ordinary symptoms are next:
• A bluish coloration of the skin caused by blood low in oxygen. You can notice it very easy.
• Shortness of breath and rapid breathing. It usually happens when you exercise a lot.
• Loss of consciousness, you might faint away as well.
• Clubbing of fingers and toes — an abnormal, rounded shape of the nail bed
• Poor weight gain and you can’t really get fat.
• A heart murmur

Hello everyone.

It is a little hard for me to explain but I will try. I will try to explain what this is. Tetralogy of Fallot is actually and unfortunatelly congenital heart defect. This is a problem with the heart's structure that's present at birth of the patient and congenital heart defects change the normal flow of blood through the heart. Also, you should know that t etralogy of Fallot is a rare, complex heart defect. It occurs in about 5 out of every 10,000 babies. The defect affects boys and girls equally with no difference. Symptoms are different and they can vary like someone already mentioned.

Good day everyone.

Here are a few things that are desirable for everyone to know them. Now when you know all about signs and symptoms, you should also know something about the treatment. Wll, people most often receive a diagnosis in infancy, but if the defects aren’t severe, the symptoms may be minimal. This can delay diagnosis. Other times, the diagnosis comes later, such as when a parent notices something abnormal or during a regular visit to the pediatrician, Tests that can aid in the diagnosis of TOF are numerous as well. I think that most common symptom is shortness of breath, 

Good day there. Unfortunately, my child is diagnosed with tetralogy of fallot and she didn’t showed any symptoms. They just diagnosed it on regular checkup when she was 6 years old. Tetralogy of Fallot is a cardiac anomaly that refers to a combination of four related heart defects that commonly occur together and I think that my doctor told me that there are four defect, but I know just that one – that is diagnosed in my kid. She has right ventricular hypertrophy and that is the indicator of thickening of the muscular walls of the right ventricle, which occurs because the right ventricle is pumping at high pressure.