I drank a lot during the summer,and then came round sepmtember,my
drinking pace slowed down from drinking everyday too drinking every
weekend.Then I went from the rare case of vomiting(at night)to the very
common case of having a few drinks,having a slight buzz but have a bad
hangover in the morning(or afterwards)along with puking and the whole
she-bang.Now I noticed,just yesterday,that my gag reflex acted up just
after a beer,but i didn't have enough (hardly any alcohol in me)for this to
make sense and stayed like that until 12:00 pm the next day

I love drinking,a little to much,but now I'm quite sad that i can't even
handle one of my favourite drink,beer.

I don't feel the need to drink all the time,but I do wish I could expirience
the wonderful affects of alcohol once in awhile.
If there is a cure for these seeming symptoms of alcohol intolerance
pleeeease let me know as soon as possible :'(

Your problem is psychological.

Back when I used to drink heavily in my teens (downing bottles of whiskey/vodka + strong lager), there would be no gaga reflex or desire to vomit.

Then, it came.

My liver is fine, and I am in good physical health.

Now that I am older and wiser - just turned 21, I prefer to get my kicks out of the healthier things in life.

If I want a drink, it will be on occasion, and it will not be a binge.

There is no gag reflex.

Why?

Because there is no expectation to vomit.

My husband is an alcoholic. He and I tried everything including psychiatries and family counselors. They introduced AA meeting. That is the only cure for your substance addiction.

Alcoholism is a chronic, progressive and potentially fatal illness whose essential features include impaired control of drinking along with continued use of alcohol despite harmful consequences. Alcoholism is common and occurs in about one out of every ten persons in the general population. People of Northern European ancestry e.g. Irish, English and French, and Native Americans are at higher risk to develop alcoholism. Family history is a strong predictor of alcoholism because of an inherited predisposition. Alcoholism tends to cluster in families and it occurs at increased rates even when the children are raised by adoptive parents without alcohol problems suggesting a genetic influence to the illness. People who work in jobs that include access to alcohol on the job, co-worker pressure to drink, minimal supervision, high job stress, or a lack of routine may have an increased risk of alcoholism. There is often a history of alcohol related problems such as drunk driving arrests or relationship or job difficulties. A person with alcoholism may often be in denial about the presence or seriousness of their illness and might display joking or anger when the subject is brought up or might change the topic to avoid discussing an alcohol problem.

Most adults are light drinkers. About 35% abstain, 55% drink fewer than three alcoholic drinks a week, and only 10% consume one ounce or more of alcohol a day. The prevalence of drinking is highest in the 21-34 year age range. Most alcohol is consumed by a small percentage of people: 10% of drinkers consume 50% of the total amount of alcohol consumed. There are three main patterns of alcoholism. The first consists of regular daily intake of a consistent amount of alcohol; the second, of regular heavy drinking limited to weekends; the third, of long periods of sobriety interspersed with binges of daily heavy drinking lasting for days or weeks or months. It is a mistake to associate any one of these particular patterns exclusively with alcoholism. There may be recurrent use of alcohol in situations where it is physically hazardous e.g. driving while intoxicated. The person with alcoholism may decide to take only one drink but after taking the first drink continues to drink until severely intoxicated. The alcoholic may recognize that the drinking behavior is excessive and may have attempted to reduce or control it but has been unable to do so. There may be a persistent desire or one or more unsuccessful attempts to cut down or control drinking. Sometimes the alcoholic may wish to reduce or control drinking but has never actually made an effort to do so. A great deal of time is often spent in activities surrounding alcohol either drinking it or recovering from its effects. The alcoholic may suffer intoxication or withdrawal symptoms particularly when expected to fulfill major role obligations at work, school or home. There may be absenteeism because of being hung over or going to work or school intoxicated or driving while under the influence of alcohol. Social, occupational or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of alcohol use. The alcoholic may withdraw from family activities and hobbies in order to spend more time with drinking buddies or to drink in private. The person with alcoholism continues to drink despite social, psychological and physical problems caused by alcohol. Significant tolerance may develop which is a markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of alcohol. The alcoholic may drink increased amounts of alcohol in order to achieve intoxication or the desired effect. Characteristic withdrawal symptoms develop when the alcoholic stops or reduces the intake of alcohol and the alcoholic begins drinking again in order to relieve or avoid those symptoms. This may involve drinking throughout the day beginning soon after awakening.

Alcoholism is often associated with use of other psychoactive drugs including marijuana or cocaine. Alcoholism is often associated with depression and anxiety. The mortality rate of alcoholics is two to three times that of the general population. Alcohol abuse is the third most frequent cause of birth defects in the United States. Most people are unaware that the first symptoms of alcohol abuse are usually social problems with relationships, work or the law. Many persons do not know that more than 25% of people who abuse alcohol will become alcohol dependent and that entering treatment before irreversible social and physical consequences of alcohol abuse occur improves their likelihood of recovery.

i experience the same symptoms. even after 1 drink, i will inevitably vomit at the end of the night. its annoying. i rarely drink and i have never had an addiction to anything in my life. i know that i do not suffer the plights of an alcoholic. i can go weeks without drinking. but as the original author stated i could down drinks with the best of them when i was younger. at 25 now, it is embarrassing, that i get cautious after one drink.

i looked up the sulfite allergy which pertains mostly to wine and doesn't have vomitting as a side effect. so i am in search of an actual answer as opposed to very wise advice from people who have suffered tremendously at the hands of a severe alcohol addiction. hence my use of the term annoying, its not a life/death matter. it however would be helpful to find an answer to this so i can enjoy the occasional happy hour drink with colleagues.

Same deal here. I used to be able to drink a lot, but now after 1 or 2 beers it gets really hard to keep drinking. I'll end up violently puking the day after, no matter how much alcohol I consume.

Even rinsing my mouth out with mouthwash seems to trigger intense vomiting the next day, that's after spitting the mouthwash out and rinsing with water.. so a very tiny amount can do it.

No one seems to know anything about this problem. I can't even find someone who can give me a suggestion of what to do. Obviously I'm going to quit drinking, but, I want to find the cause of the problem.

ENJOYING A DRINK EVERY NOW AND THEN IS NOT* ALCOHOLISM* obviously the poeple who wrote it dont understand what type of condition this is...! I have the same problem! I DO NOT drink alot nor very often... I drink once or twice a month... and when i do it is very little... 4 beers... feel fine that night, drink water before bed, eat like im suppose to...next day Im puking up my insides, i dont understand why, I only get a slight buzz off 2 beers...its not like i was wasted, blacking out and had a typical hangover...I am sick for 12 hrs straight just vomiting up yellow acid (bile)-- I am by no means an alcoholic because if i were, i would be drinking in larger proportions and doing it everydayyy! So people need to quit talking about psychology & alcohol etc... because this is a condition that frm reading these blogs, that a lot of people have. I just go out for a social drink with my girls or to a party, I just want to enjoy a social drink, but I cant even do that without getting sick the next day. Drinking just makes me cringe now...ive had this for 2 years, I use to drink a lot heavier & more frequently, without even getting a hangover, I would wake up at 7am and cook breakfast and go to work/school no problems and NO sign of a hangover. Now Im praying that I dont get a hangover off of 3 beers...or a shot of liquor! Hellllo is there a cure for this? ughh

TO be honest with you if you are vomiting up bile, you may want to see a doctor. Even with alcohol intolerance, that is not normal! Can you please see a doctor for me and let me know what he says?? Thank you!

This has started happening to me as well for the last 5 months or so. As someone who is not really a drinker to start with, to not drink is not a huge deal. The first time it happened, I sort of wrote it off as an extreme (and very unexpected based on the small amount of drinks) hangover. But then it got strange to me that even one or two beers would cause me to be violently ill for the whole next day. A couple times I would wake up during the night, feeling very anxious, as I knew the extreme sickness was on its way. I haven't drank in about 3 months now. Last night a friend was in town and Ihad 2 beers with dinner, thinking maybe it would just go away, but no such luck. With all due respect to anyone who has answered, this is not an "alcoholic" type of problem. It is a physical reaction to alcohol consumption.

I have been suffering the same kind of symptoms also since the summer. I could drink anyone under the table and I'm a girl. I started drinking whiskey and it was the only thing I ever really drank except for an odd few shots here and there. I was out a lot during the summer but I never had a hangover or felt sick.
However towards the end of the Summer the sickness started along with the vomiting. So now even if I have one drink I feel as sick as anything in the morning. I love to drink because of the great feeling it gives. In no way am I an alcoholic but like I just like a few drinks with my friends. My birthday is coming up in December and I will not be the SOBER birthday girl. I am already dreading the morning after when I will no doubt be sick for the day.
Now I know the obvious thing to do is to not drink but that is not an option for me. If anyone knows how to beat this intolerance then please let us know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just want to thank everyone who posted their experiences! I'm 25 and I, too, am suffering from some sort of alcohol intolerance. It's nice to know that I'm not alone! (My friends certainly don't have the same problem!!) I appreciate all the posts, so I figured I would share my story too:

In college, it used to be fine for me to drink some wine or a couple mixed drinks, but more than 1 beer would make me sick to my stomach (I'd play beer pong w/ twisted tea!). I thought I just had a beer intolerance... Now I can't even have wine or a mixed drink! Last night I went out with my girlfriends, had a vodka and cranberry with a big pasta dinner, and made sure to have a glass of water with dinner as well. Later, we went out and had drinks. I had one more vodka and cranberry and then called in a night and had more water. While my friends drank 5-6 drinks over the course of 5-6 hours, I had 2 small drinks and two large waters on a full stomach! I specifically called it quits after 2 drinks so I would *not* get sick. (This used to work.) Despite taking this precaution, however, I found myself up after only a couple hours sleep, with major intestinal distress, feeling hot/cold, & shaking. I vomited up or otherwise lost the entire contents of my stomach over the course of the next 6 hours, to the point where I was just dry-heaving w/ terrible stomach pains. It's a horrible feeling.

After reading all these posts and reading up on alcohol intolerance, I've realized that I'm not just crazy (like my friends thought every time I told them I was "allergic" to beer) but I actually have a real problem. I imagine I will have to stop drinking completely, which I can't say comes as a shock! It's been getting worse over time. I'm kind of at peace with it at this point. Even without an official diagnosis, it's just common sense at this point... One of those "if it hurts when you do that, stop doing it!" situations! I will also definitely mention it to my doc at my next checkup, just to be sure I don't have celiac or something like that.

Just a side note to those who find the social aspects of not drinking as intolerable as the alcohol itself: Have you tried telling your friends that you would rather not go out to a club/bar, etc.? (Or just don't drink if you do?) Because of my sensitivity (and somewhat introverted personality to begin with) I have more fun doing non-alcohol related activities anyway. I have found my friends are receptive to my requests to find other things to do. Not everyone will understand (I live in Boston, the 20-something/drinking capital of the US, it seems sometimes, so it can be tough!), but your real friends will want to see you, even if they aren't drinking! I swear!

I have exactly the same problem, and have found loads of comments like this on the web, but not a single concrete answer. I can have just 2 or 3 beers with plenty to eat and over a long evening - definitely not excessive drinking. I'll be fine for a few hours, then the headache starts and by the next morning I'm vomitting for hours. I used to be fine, then all of a sudden this started a few years ago. Does no one have an answer to this (except for "stop drinking" - that's not the point. I have no problem stopping drinking, but I still want to know what's going on) The missing enzyme thing sounds possible, but would that change through your life? I used to be fine.....

iv just turned 21 and used to be able to go out and have the occasional social drink. only a short while ago i went out to a party had 3 glasses of champagne (the night ended with violent vomiting which was very unusual). I woke up the next day, no hang over, nausea or anything but after a while a headache began to develope and nausea. i couldnt stop vomiting and i couldnt see due to the migrain like head ache. i ended up in hospital after 24hrs of not being able to keep even water in my stomach and the agonising headache. i tried twice more since this incident to drink alcohol. i had one glass of vodka and the next day same thing. i now cant touch a drop of alcohol. And its so annoying because people laugh and say its a hangover but its not and im so far from being an alcoholic its not funny! Id just love to get a cure so i could hav a drink with friends!

I get the same Yellow-Bile vomit response. Whether one beer or 15 (wine kills me), I'm good until about 4am when I wake up with a sour stomach, headache and nausea. I then throw up yellow bile.

I've read that alcohol partially breaks down in the stomach (oxidized), is rapidly absorbed by the small intestine, travels via the digestive tract to the liver which produces the enzyme dehydrogenase to oxidize the rest of the un-absorbed alcohol.

My problem is the amount of alcohol not leaving my stomach - Yellow Bile. I've stopped drinking completely for months (abstinence). I've tried to train by drinking 2 beers a night for a month (liver / stomach training). I've tried to prepare and mitigate using antacids, complex B-vitamins, water, food, eggs, spaghetti, milk, etc. to no great affect.

My method is currently (when I can't take not drinking anymore - which is about 1x/month) is to drink then . . . bulemically vomit at 2am, drink liquid Magnesium Milk, wake up very early to exercise, and then eat and go back to sleep (in that order). The exercise is critical to sweat the beast. Would love to hear of a way to counter-act my inability to process the alcohol without this regime. Trust me . . . my method results in one tired sole.

FYI - I now have to play poker sober, drink soda/flat water at most meals, green tea with Sushi (rather than Kirin), skip all happy hours, skip that tasteful bear after my workouts, etc. My big reward two weeks ago was one Corona Lite on Friday nite after a hard days work. Threw up the next day. Come on . . . that 'aint right.

I'm worried my livers is imparied (fatty liver problem) which means I can't metabolize the alochol, or maybe my pancreas, kidney and thyroid are damaged. We need a doctor to advise us. Online posting direct us to 'Liver' supplements. I think its the damn genetically engineered corn that is causing an auto-immune response to allergens and stress. Any other ideas or solutions out there??

Check this link from the Mayo Clinic. An intolerance to alcohol can develop over time.