Hello guys. I came here because I saw that you are very active members and that you are trying to help us as much as you can. Well, I have one problem with my daughter. Since me and her father got divorced, I think that she hates me and she doesn't want me to be a part of her life. Her cousin called me today and told me that she is having some weird symptoms lately and that doctors suspects that she is dealing with heart block. I want to help her. What are the symptoms of heart block and how it is treated? 

Hey there darling. I just can imagine how you feel right now. I am glad that at least you have this cousin who is telling you something about your daughter, but I need to mention that your husband is really not fair.  I will try to help you, actually we all will try to help you. Signs and symptoms usually depend on the type of heart block you have. When it comes to first – degree heart block it may not cause any symptoms. Signs and symptoms of second- and third-degree heart block include:

• Fainting
  • Dizziness or light-headedness
  • Fatigue (tiredness)
  • Shortness of breath
  • Chest pain.

Good day there. Thank you for clearing this situation up for me. I am going to ask my lovely cousin what she knows about all those symptoms that she has because I am pretty sure that her dad is doing so little about this. And I am in Boston, they are in Miami and I don't know what to do. I mean, she is not that far away, but she doesn't want to see me. Anyway, you told me a lot about those symptoms but I also would like to know more about the ways of the treatment. What they are and which of them are most helpful. Also I would like to know more about "heart block" definition.

Hey Louis,

Heart block is a problem that occurs with the heart's electrical system. This system controls the rate and rhythm of heartbeats. ("Rate" refers to the number of times your heart beats per minute. "Rhythm" refers to the pattern of regular or irregular pulses produced as the heart beats.)

With each heartbeat, an electrical signal spreads across the heart from the upper to the lower chambers. As it travels, the signal causes the heart to contract and pump blood.

Heart block occurs if the electrical signal is slowed or disrupted as it moves through the heart, meaning that your heart is not longer beating in its normal rhythm.

It is a type of arrhythmia.

When I first heard about heart block and until I gave it some time reading about it, I always thought that this is something like a heart attack, it kind of sounds like it, but it isn't.

Some people are born with heart block, while others develop it during their lifetimes. If you're born with the condition, it's called congenital heart block. If the condition develops after birth, it's called acquired heart block.

Like someone wrote above, there are three degrees of heart block, with the first one being the least severe and the third one being the most severe.

Hi there Louis,

My dad was suffering from a heart block. It looked as if it is the first degree heart block, but it got worse over time and his doctor eventually decided that the best thing for him is to have a pacemaker placed.

A pacemaker is a small device that's placed under the skin of your chest or abdomen. This device uses electrical pulses to prompt the heart to beat at a normal rate. It is used in some two degree cases of heart block and in all three degree cases. It really helped my dad and he didn't have any problems after having it placed.

Hi everyone,

My mother has a pacemaker as well, Gabriela. But her condition was very serious, she was in life danger until she got her pacemaker. We were relieved when we found out that the operation went according to plan and that she should be okay now.

I don't think that there are any other treatment options for heart block other than this pacemaker. I know that some of the other arrhythmias can be treated with the help of some medicines but I don't think that that can be done when it comes to heart block, I think pacemaker is the only option.

Hello everyone. Look Louis, everyone in here has a point and everything what other members in here told you is true. But when we are talking about the treatment, it is very important to know what type of heat block is in your condition. When you find out what type of heart block is, your doctor will tell you what is the best way of the treatment. Like you already know, this condition is an abnormal heart rhythm is a change in either the speed or the pattern of the heartbeat — the heart may beat too slowly, too rapidly or irregularly.