I heard that my friend has encephalitis. First I didn’t know what it is but when somebody explained that to me, I was terrified. It seems very dangerous. I would like to know something more about consequences. Tell me, please can any long term side-affects appear after suffering from viral encephalitis?

Unfortunately, there are many long term side effects that can appear after any kind of encephalitis. Patients may have many cognitive problems, like lose of memory, certain learning disabilities, poor concentration, speech problems and others. Because of that many of them become depressed or angry. Also encephalitis may cause lack of muscle coordination, paralysis or hearing or vision defects.

I had encephalitis when I was a child.All I remember are blurps..such as hospital room on easter and a big bunny
came to say hi and find a candy for me, mabie a wheel chair, and then sticky wires on my head.
My mother did what she could to explain(appropriatly) on what had happened. She said, from what I can
recall, measels on my blood stream, swelled left brain, I could not talk,walk, and they had to strap me
down when I had convultions in the hospital bed.She also told me that I had to re learn to walk and talk,
and they called me bullet because how I did in a wheel chair.I do not remember this at all!
She stated to me that she was told that my chances were slim, to be either a vegtable or die.
I was born in Quebec, and Roman Catholic was how she was raised as well as my biological father,
so they prayed and put a catholic necklace around me. My mom said I was a miricle.
My name is Sophie. I don't believe this always because I only remember blurps.
is it possible?
I have had 3 children,a career of over 15 years, own my home and more, but I do get
fuzzy with remembering,I always have to write things down.It's like long term memory issue,I suppose.
Its deeper than that but brief explaination, I do get anxiety, forgetfullnes, mabie normal, but
I wonder...
Are there things I should pay attention too(I am 37),or am I in the clear regarding encephalitis?
There are other things I could add to this, however, I want to be realistic and not self diognos.
I have told my doctors(2 in my life since),and they don't even budge, they simply say"interesting"
I am here,alive, and doing good, just want to have more information regarding this so I can self check,
because this is the best thing to do and check. Thank you.
Sophie is a good name:)

Hi Sophie,
I read with interest your reply to the question of viral encephalitis as it affected you. I had a severe viral encephalitis too when I was 12, it had great affects upon me as it created exactly what you described as blurps (which I interpret to mean gaps of no memory) this is precisely what I had. What I found is that my recovery was far longer than what people and doctors around thought. I personally didn't feel right for many years. I am 43 now, am an MD now, and have gone on to do many high achievement things in my life but there is no doubt I have some residual affects from that time in my life.
I have had a hard time trusting others as during that time everyone around was very dismissive of how I felt and despite my own protestations my parents always had the stock answer "you are fine" I had many a tearful night alone during those adolescent years, knowing I didn't feel right and not having anyone to share it with.
I don't think it affected my intelligence as when I got to it, I obviously completed a rigorous academic path and have gone on to have a family of my own. I have never seen anything meaningful written on childhood viral encephalitis and its psychological sequelae but am certain there are many. I hope this helps you to know that you are not alone and others out there understand what you mean.
We both however should be grateful that we have survived and done okay. I am grateful for the recovery I have made as I know it could have been alot worse.
If you would like to talk further about it let me know.

Hi! I have been googleing this subject for many months and never got the right question to get this site to come up before till my stepsons nurse finally put it into the words i was looking for. residual effects of encephalitis. i have also experienced all the symptoms mentioned in all the posts i have seen thus far, but have not seen that anyone has mentioned falling down. I of course fall down at least 2 to 3 times a week on a bad month. it comes and goes. sometimes i go months and never have a symptom. then all of a sudden i wake up and i cant get my balance, i cant put one foot in front of another with out tripping on air. or i feel off balance, or i cant grasp my clothes to put them on because the strength in my hand is weak, or i cant lift my arm over my head to put on my shirt from the pain that is shooting thru my shoulder. it has gotten so bad these past couple of months that i started going to doctors, WebMD, Nursing friends, they all ask if i have MS. i have had test after test, blood tests, neurological tests, mri's of my brain, neck and back, Physical Therapy, Joint pains, muscle pains, migraines, all of which come back normal. >;) what happens if all the tests in the world come back normal and i am still suffering with all these symptoms. am i really sick? kind of like saying, if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it still make a noise? AAAA my guess is YES!!!
i am just frustrated with the way i feel, the way the doctors look at me like i am making this all up. there is something going on in my body, weather it is MS or residual symptoms of encephalitis, i am sick and i just want some answers.

thanks, CJB

Oh god, after reading all of these post, I started crying. I am 18 years old, I got diagnosed with encephalitis when I was 3 years old and was brought into the hospital in a state of coma, which I endured for 2-3 weeks. My parents haven't been able to explain it very clearly to me so recently I decided to do some research on my own. I've had a suspicion that maybe I had some residual effects of the encephalitis, like maybe it wasn't really out of my system. I've always had problems concentrating and I can't ever remember barely anything within a year of the current moment, only flashes of things which are very difficult to interpret. I was (as I have read, most patients- ex patients- of encephalitis been) diagnosed with ADD, I have struggled with personality changes such as depression, mood swings and bouts of antisocial anxiety (don't know if this is understandable) since my parents recall, I've been susceptible to rare conditions and viruses such as (don't know the correct translation) Scarlet fever, and severe gastritis and salmonella and strange joint/bone problems whereas other people around me haven't and I want to know if there's a connection between all of this. I am very tired of people telling me I'm delusional or hypochondriac for thinking of such a thing but reading these posts made me realize that I'm not the only one.

If all this has something to do with the Encephalitis, I want to know if there's something I can do about it. If there's any treatment or any way I can manage it, it makes my life even more complicated as a teenager %-) And those of you who became doctors and had families even with this struggle... wow, that is so inspirational.

hello i am 40 years old and had encephalitis at the age of 6. I do have problems concentrating, depression, anxiety, tremors, muscle spasms and pain. I had went to a neurologist for a nerve test due to an injury and he asked me if i noticed that i had over active reflexes
he had said that it is from having had encephalitis, does anyone else experience any of these symptoms or after affects? Does anyone feel that it is harder for pain management like your very sensitive to pain?

On the subject of long term effects of encephalitis

I had a bout of encephalitis at age 13 ish. I had hemi-paralytic attacks followed by horrible headaches every few days for a few weeks until one onset of and incident put me into a coma. After the EEGs, spinal taps, etc., etc. encephalitis was determined.
Because of research I did for my kids who were born with cerebral palsy and had siezure condidtions, I began to learn that whenever the cortex of the brain swells the thalamus and/or hypothalamus can be "squished" and damaged permanently ... I've had all sorts of endocrine system problems that don't show up on routine Thyroid tests. I had significant, if not total, memory loss of years prior to that oonset of viral encephalitis. I also struggle with overweight, etc. Wish we could get Drs to consider these common after affects years later. I'M MOST FRUSTRATED WITH, LIKE SOMEONE ELSE SAID ... THE DRs JUST SAY HHHmmm, at best, but usually before you're even done making the connections ... the Dr. says ... it's unlikely that these symptoms would be related ... so frustrating!
Blessings to All, Louise

p.s. Did we all notice that the movie "Awakenings" with Robin Williams was about patients (including Rober DeNiro's character) who had previously suffered from encephalitis?

Hi there I am very worried as my partner has just been taken very ill he had encephalities when he was ten and recently had a severe headache and was then rushed to hospital he has been in for a week now and has detoriated rapidly he is confused and imagining that people have been to visit him.
He has also complained of numbness in his body,He had a ct scan but they said that there was no concern but it all seems so coincidental to me

Amazing all of you people out there suffering the same after affects of encephalitis. I am 57 and had encephalitis when I was 6 years old after a bout of measles. I was in a coma for 3 weeks and had to learn to walk and talk again. I have had a fruitful life exploring the world when young, going to University, bearing and raising three children. I too have memory loss and a lot of problems with my legs and balance. After recent surgery I have lost the knack of walking - one of my legs (not the one operated on) just refuses to work normally any longer so I am like a tin soldier attempting to walk. In the last 10 or so years my legs have become much weaker and I :-) now need a walking stick to get around on. I too have memory lapses and am often anxious.
Otherwise my health is very good, except for osteoarthritis. I would be interested if anyone knows how to control the after affects from progressing.

DON'T GIVE UP! There is HOPE! When I was 24 I was diagnosed with viral encephalitis. After 20 days in the hospital, I was released back into the world and expected to rejoin society with absolutely NO information given to me regarding my illness. At this point I couldn't string together a complete sentences, or remember countless events prior to the encephalitis. It got better....although a very slow process, it got better for me. I am now 36 and the owner of a successful business. I have recovered some, if not most of the memory lost and my speech has returned 100%. Although I will never know how much damage was done, I know I recover a little bit every day.

I had encephalitis and meningits four years ago. Since then I have had problems with short term memory (I can't tell you if I have dined in a specific restaurant in the past few years, but I can tell you the batting line-up...with batting averages....from the local baseball team 20 yrs ago.)
I also have balance problems -[- especially when I want to turn. It is very frustrating as docs seem to ignore it.

I had encephilits when I was a child. I am now 45 and reading all these posts has helped so much. I, too, am confused a lot. I find that when I am around others I just sit and listen and rarely engage in conversation because I have a problem putting my thoughts into sentences. Sometimes when I am talking my mind just goes totally blank and I feel so stupid. When people first meet me they think I am a snob because I don't like to talk. I am also ADD and have trouble organizing things. It's nice to know I am not alone.

Thanks,
Lisa

i had encephalitis 12 years ago,i 2 was in a coma 4few days.i was so taken aback,cos when i recovered,i had to learn to walk,talk even feed myself again.it was such a hard task to take on,esp at 24years of age,you dont like to have your independance taken away at anytime..so i struggled with that.but luckly i pulled myself through.i have been left with a weak bowel and bladder,and short term memory loss,but not to severe,thankfully.i have read all your comments,and it was so good to find,people who have similar experiences,as i have found it hard to talk about it,i pushed it to the back of my mind if i was honest.at the moment i am going through a bad time,as i am having trouble with my balance and ears,i never thought to link the two,but reading someones comment as made me think it my be.

I am 41, at the age of 4 I had encephalitis after having the Mumps. All I can remember is the Mumps and nothing else after for quite some time. Before the encephalitis, I could read small words, do some basic math (1 plus 1), and talked a mile a minute (my great grandmother was a teacher). After the encephalitis, I remember having trouble talking, identifying objects correctly, and I couldn’t read or do math anymore. Example: In my left hand is a pen and in the right is paper. However, I would identify it is as “left hand paper and right hand pen” with a severe stutter. I went through 8 yrs of reading and speech therapy to correct the stutter and to retrain my brain. Also, there were times would I see one word but pronounce it as something else all together and would swear that what I was saying was exactly what I saw. Example: I would swear it was 21 but in fact the number was 12. In the 70’s & 80’s, there wasn’t much work on learning disabilities and I struggled in school. I am intelligent but just had a hard time studying. I couldn’t concentrate and wouldn’t retain what I read. If I heard it, I could remember it. I taught myself how to study. I would read a book then write out what it meant to me in terms that I could understand. I would have to write something out at least three times and kept very organized notes in order to remember what I was studying. With hard work and determination I achieved my Bachelor and Master degree and have a wonderful career.

From the ages of 15 - 19, I suffered from vasculitis and the physicians didn’t think the encephalitis had anything to do with it but I’ve always been curious if the two could be tied together.

I still stutter on occasion but have trained my brain to anticipate when I will struggle with a word. I can just sense it and will change the word in a split second. Most people don’t notice it but I become very uncomfortable. For the most part I’m a happy well adjusted person but there are times when depression, anxiety (in crowds), mood swings, and mistrust appear.