I was recently diagnosed by a Urologist as having Noninfectious prostatitis. My symptoms included: swelling of the tesitcles, urinary tract pain (but not when using the restroom and I had no discharges of any kind), and general pain throughout the groin region.

What I did not get from the doctor was solid information regarding a few topics:
1. How long should I anticipate dealing w/ the miscomfort? I am currently on a 10 day cycle of Doxycycline & some of the pain has already begun to subside (2 days in) which I am offsetting with Vicodin (prescribed).
2. What are some causes of the infection? My doctor advised me that as a man of my age (23), it is somewhat common but I'd still like to know more...
3. Are there any long term effects of prostatitis?
4. When the doctor says "no sex", does that include no ejaculation of any kind?

Thanks.

I don’t know why your doc said no sex because I know that in people who suffer from prostatitis, it is good to have ejaculations to expel the semen from the prostate gland. If they didn’t expel it, it would become stale and cause troubles. I am sure this is said for bacterial prostatitis, I don’t think that nonbacterial should make any different regarding sex. Prostatitis can’t be transmitted i.e. the bacteria can’t be transmitted in the bacterial p. and it is safe to practice sex if possible because many men can’t have sex at all.

It is actually not known what causes non-infectious prostatitis, and the treatment may last longer than with bacterial because antibiotics don’t work. The infection is managed by reliving the symptoms and it goes away without treatment if it goes away. Some health experts feel that the symptoms are probably caused by spasms of the sphincter muscles of the bladder and the pelvic floor. This increases the pressure in the urethra, which forces urine down into the prostate. The thing with noninfectious p. is that it has no long-term effects although it certainly impairs a man’s life-quality due to persistent symptoms.

It is usually muscle relaxants, hot sitz baths and prostate massage that is advised to sufferers to get rid of the symptoms.

The problem with noninfectious p. is that it is most often a recurrent condition in which symptoms come and go and may differ in severity.

What you should know is that this is not a dangerous condition but you will have to learn to live with it and act towards reducing the symptoms.

When is your next appointment?