Recently I read something about encephalitis. I remember that my cousin got this illness when he traveled to somewhere in Africa. I know that you can get it if mosquitoes bite you. My friend told me that encephalitis may cause epilepsy. Does anybody know could epilepsy result from encephalitis? Thanks!

I can tell you that encephalitis is inflammation of the brain caused by a virus. People with reduced immunity are at increased risk of developing complications of viral encephalitis. I know that some kind of encephalitis can cause death or serious permanent brain damage. But I’m not sure about epilepsy.

yes it can. i had encephalitis when i was in first grade. i was hospitalized for a few days. and i was almost in a coma. i've had seizures for a year now and a neurologist just now diagnosed me with epilepsy. she said the epilepsy was most likely caused by the encephalitis.

I had Encephalitis when I was 6 years old, 1964. I was in a coma for a long period of time, had surgery to relieve the swelling and pressure on my brain, had seizures and now have severe headaches. My MRI shows brain scarring and I have frequent dizzy spells. I haven't had any seizures in the past 10 years or so, but the headaches are terrible. Yes it can cause epilepsy.