Please, can you help me. I need some information about encephalitis. Last week my son was playing with one boy who now has encephalitis. I know that it is a viral infection of brain but I don’t know how contagious is infectious encephalitis? Does anybody know something about this?

Recently I read a lot about encephalitis. As I understood well, brain infection itself is not contagious, but any of the various viruses that cause encephalitis can be. And important thing that you should know is that if your child gets a certain virus, it doesn’t mean that he will develop encephalitis.

Hello there,

Well since your child has been just playing with the other kid who is suffering from infection of the brain also known as Encephalitis it is very unlikely that you have reason to worry. Encephalitis can be caused by either bacteria or viruses and sometimes bugs and tics can carry it. This infection can develop very slow or very fast and this depends on the organism itself.

When it comes to the diagnosis it is necessary to do the whole medical exam starting with whole medical history. Also it is very important to inform the doctor about recent travelling out of the country. Since there are few types of encephalitis the treatment usually depends on the cause.