I just heard that my little nephew has encephalitis. I can not describe how I’m worried. He had pneumonia first and my sister told me that it caused encephalitis. I don’t understand how that is possible. Does anybody know can pneumonia lead to encephalitis? Please, explain to me how.

Sometimes virus or bacteria first infects another part of body and secondarily enters brain. There is one kind of atypical pneumonia caused by certain bacteria Mycoplasma. It often affects younger people and may be associated with manifestations outside of the lungs and neurological syndromes, like meningitis and encephalitis. It can be treated successfully.

Hello there audie1464,

I know that you are worried for your little nephew, but as the poster above me has already mentioned it is easy treatable so you don’t need to extend the stress you have been experiencing. Also, your sister probably needs all the support she can get, so try to be as supportive as you can towards her into these moments.

Also, pulmonary conditions can reoccur and that is the bad thing about this. Your nephew will have to take care about himself more than he would ordinary should, for example he will need to avoid to smoke and he will probably need to check his lungs more often. I hope this was helpful and that your nephew will recover soon.