Hi there,
I am 6 weeks postop after an one level discectomy c6/c7. I still feel a stiff neck and shoulder area and in the morning I have some nausea. Also I still have a low level energy, meaning that I am tired and fatique quick after doing light work. The pain in my arm and neck is gone but the effects of the surgery are not gone yet. I am a 56 years old man that lives quite healty (workstress not included)
Can someone give me advise what to do and not to do to speed up recovery?
greetings,
Mart XD

Mart,
The only thing I might suggest to you is take it slow!
I had ACDF surgery and was told by the physical therapist to stretch, bend, etc until you start feeling pain. At that point quit. The next day try to go alittle farther. When it hurts...quit. Hopefully you will find that each day you will be able to go a bit farther and ease the stiffness.
If you try to hard and stretch those muscles too far they will only go into spasms just like if you never worked out and decided to perform a marathon. If they do so I found that a heating pad works best for me but the PT has told me 20 minutes ice, 20 minutes heat. I just do the heat.
Not wanting to discourage you but in my case the fatigue, stiff neck and shoulders has never completely went away and I'm about 4 yrs in. I have been diagnosed with other ailments such as fibromyalgia, cervicle disc disease, arthiritis, etc. so I honestly can't say if all my issues are entirely due to the surgery (C5,C6).
I hope I've helped you here. Just remember patience. You are only 6 wks out and though you need to work your muscles be kind to them and don't work 'em too hard (lol).