I have had a back injury since 1994, but it reoccurs about every yr. I stopped working few years ago because of it. The injury originated at the T 8 - the T 10 and have in the last two years had MRIs done that only found two bulging discs in the C5 and C6 area of the neck. Since 2000 I have had numbing in my hands, neck and the T8 - T10 back areas. I have seen many doctors; have been to a chiropractor, physical therapy 5 times. I have been seen by neurologists and one said I don't have carpal tunnel syndrome. The one that says I do have carpal tunnel made a guess that my numbing is from my thoracic muscles, and claims the bulging discs in my neck couldn't cause numbing because it is only a minor bulging. Can muscle spasms cause numbing?

This sounds like my problem except I don’t have any pain in the arms. I only have pain in the shoulder and neck and occasionally also get weird pains in my thoracic area if I bend over. There is numbness too. The pain in shoulder seems to come on without warning, but I can create it by bending my neck as far forward or backward as it will go. I don’t have any mri results. From what I read it seems I have symptoms of both cervical and thoracic disc problems, but neither of them has complete symptoms.

I have been in pain for approx 3 years now. most visable symtoms are as follows pain in between the shoulder blades, muscle spasms above the shoulderblades on both sides,and in hands. Cold sensations like cold air hitting my hands and arms, and burning above my shoulder blades upon standing too long. Oh and my arms ache me alot. If anyone else has these symtoms or can help me please respond. I'd be very grateful.

I had a problem like this in 2004, I remember turning my head really fast to look over my shoulder so I could move over lanes while driving and something popped in my neck on the left side, after a short while I made it to work, and after sitting for a bit, my left arm went knumb and cold down to my fingers and I felt pain in my arm and neck where my arm rotates at my shoulder, a constant throbbing pain and difficulty breathing-my bp sky rocketed! Was rushed to hospital and all types of test done, they diagnosed my w/thorasic outlet syndrom- went to physical therapy for a while until eleviated but never completely went away.
Now this year 2007 at the end of April, I awoke w/my left arm knumb and cold, heavy and tingling in my last three fingers from my pinky on. I felt pain in my arm at shoulder where arm rotates and up my kneck, my chest hurt-it hurt to breath and touch it all around in my ribs too and in my back and up the back of my head all on the left side also, knumbnes and pain in my left ear and difficulty hearing out of it. Went to the hospital, they told me I had fluid in my chest wall and needed to rest and follow up w/ my doctor. Followed up w/a doctor and they do not know what is going on, I am going to physical therapy, my therapists state that my doctor believes it's just strain on my muscles but, she states that not if my arm is going knumb and difficulty breathing, she believes it's pressure on my nerve running from my kneck. She believes it's either thorasic outlet, phrenic nerve irriation, or lymphatic system dysfunction.
I'm Seeking a 2nd Opinion.
Wendy

hI IM EXPERIENCING THE SAME THING LEFT SIDE OF MY NECK BETWEEN HE EAR AND SHOULDER...IT BECOMES QUITE WARM, I LOOSE CIRCULATION , MY HAND AND CERTAIN FINGERS BECOME TINGLY. IF iI MOVE A CERTAIN WAY I GET EXCRUTIATING PAIN IN MY RIBS ON THE RIGHT SIE ABOUT MIDDLE OF MY BACK. I WAKE UP DURING THE NIGHT IN EXCRUTIATING PAIN,SOMETIMES I HAVE PROBLEMS BREATING AND SWALLOWING. MY ARM SWELLS TREMENDOUSLY IT IS SO SORE!!!!! MY CHIROPRACTOR IS REFERRING ME TO UCLA TO SEE THREE SPECIALISTS. THEY ALL SPECIALIZE IN THORASIC OUTLET SYNDROME

I AM SEEING DR STEPHEN PERRY AND DR CONWISAR WRITE ME BACK ILOOK FORWRD TO HEARING FROM YOU, KATHY