My job as a poker dealer requires me to sit in a chair with legs wedged between it and the table. I go from table to table every 30 minutes, sometimes up to 4 hrs without a break. During the 30 minute breaks, I'm required to walk/stand in the room helping as needed. During every 30 minutes of dealing, I must reach/stretch with both arms, bending over the table in a 180* arc, twisting/turning my hands/wrists pulling in bets and discarded hands. Absolutely no time to just sit with correct posture, always moving. I'm 5'5" tall and some of the tables are longer then I can comfortably reach chips/cards (players very unhelpful here!!). Early in 2004 while at work, I started experiencing a sharp, stabbing icepick pain seeming to originate deep under the left shoulder blade worsening with every left arm reach. Had to leave work and was out for 3 months. Drs took x-rays & MRI; found nothing. Pain dissipated and returned to work. That pain never returned but shoulder never felt 'good' again and within the next 12 months noticed a deterioration in dexterity, coordination and strength in left hand and arm, with some tactile numbness. In late 2005, I noticed a hand muscle (the one that bulges up when the thumb is pressed against the index) had disappeared as well as a 'bony' look to the entire hand. Standing straight in front of a mirror, I also saw that my left shoulder was a full 1.5" lower then the right and arm hangs noticably closer to the torso and fingers closer to ground indicating more muscle wasting there. Personal Dr sent me to a neurologist. More tests with no conclusion. Went to second neurologist, same tests--same results. Still working the entire time. About 4 months ago, while dealing, a muscle/tendon/ligament in my back between the left shoulder blade and the spine bulged up and very painful. I applied a heated massager to it every night after work and it eventually went away. But as it left, another pain deep in the left shoulder arose. Very hard to describe this but a feeling of painful irritation in the entire left blade area and into arm is now there 24/7. My left hand is near useless for holding tools, pens, brushes, anything small. Very painful wrist/finger cramps take over if I grip something too tightly. Yes, I'm left-handed and 57 yrs old making this a very debilitating problem. Work is 8 hrs of pure agony. A pain management Dr prescribed Lyrica 50mg (I'm NOT diabetic or post-shingles) so no help. Then Gabapentin (300mg) and even triple dosing provides no relief. I also have left leg sciatica (since 2002, discectomy 12/02--no relief, on Endocet for pain since then, hasn't helped for over a year even with doses of 60-70 mg (just get sleepy) within 8 hr period at work only---relates to having to stand/walk in the room during breaks). Have never taken the Percs when away from work (vacations, weekends, the 3 months out of work mentioned above). Only at work and this worked for quite some time. Been on the Gaba for over a week and have not taken any Percs since, with no probs. The only other med I take is .5mg Clonazepam for help sleeping as sciatic limits comfortable sleep positions. Now shoulder prob exasperates sleep. My neurologist has me scheduled for a lumbar puncture and a hi-res MRI. My pain management Dr has a nerve test scheduled. Sitting in front of my computer typing this irritates the shoulder. Sitting in a restaurant does it. Resting my left forearm against the edge of a table hurts. Standing in place with arms hanging brings on a tingling in the last 3 fingers of left hand. I cough, I get a sharp pain under left arm between bicep/tricep. I tilt my head to the left then forward or back--same thing. So. I can't walk/stand very long or sciatic acts up (sometimes wish for wheelchair). Stand/walk/sit, I have this shoulder irritation. I have a zero-G chair (reclines to astronaut position) that is comfortable for both but uncomfortable in the neck. Only one position for sleep and wake up often with left calf cramps or sciatic pain or shoulder pain if position changes. Only position I've found to relieve the shoulder pain is to raise my left arm over my head and hold. Thru all this, I've seen two neurosurgeons for the sciatic. Degenerated disc at L5-S1. They want to pull and replace with screws. On hold. I'm a very avid golfer and my only form of stress release is a round every week. Won't jeopardize this for anything. They say I'm not a candidate for disc replacement as I do smoke. No alcohol at all. Aside from probs listed here, I'm not allergic to anything, no side effects from any med taken, fairly muscular @ 125#. But because of all the probs experienced for so long and only worsening with no hope yet in sight, the quality of life I have is pitiful. I can't enjoy any of the things I used to do, want to do, need to do. I dread going to work and spend 95% of my off time at home, not counting golf day. And yes, the shoulder has had a definite negative affect on my game. And I try to ignore the pains and enjoy the game, never completely possible. Of all the Drs I've seen for all the probs I have, not one has mentioned that maybe I should take time off from work until it is either ruled out as a irritant to or the cause of my muscle wasting/shoulder pain even though I have told every one of them exactly what I've said here. I have short/long term disability and FMLA time. But without a Dr to request this of my employer, I must continue to put myself thru the agony and misery that it does to me. It's like they don't want to involve themselves in a work related injury that I think I had back when the icepick pain first appeared. Should I bring up the subject with my family Dr, the neurologist or the pain management Dr? As this is nothing like a broken arm where there was a place and time and witnesses, I have nothing to prove it is work related. If my PM Dr can't/won't prescribe a med that WORKS (and soon) so I can at least do my job without pain for as long as it takes til the results of the lumbar puncture and MRI come back, I don't know what I'll do. I'm so miserable now I'm ready to try illegal alternatives. I don't see him again til the 23rd but need help now! Will call him tomorrow and see what he says regards a new med (and would be very interested in what med you think would give me relief). In the meantime, any help with what may be the cause of my shoulder pain and muscle wasting? Further info will be provided if requested. Thank you for any help.

I found out, much to my surprise because I exercise faithfully (however the wrong way I found like most folks), that I had pinched nerves creating pain on my left side caused by bony spurs. I discovered the Egoscue exercises have alleviated much of the pain and now I mostly just feel mild discomfort & at times nothing. I have only been doing these just a few weeks!!. Also, another book I found helpful was the 3 min to Pain-free by Weisberg. Everyone should do these isometric exercises. They target the proper alignment of the body. READ these books and learn how the average person can relieve much pain by just doing a few of these forms daily for just 5-15 minutes (no equipment needed and you can do them virtually anywhere when I feel a nasty pinched pain coming I just do a few of the forms, hold for min of 30 secs and relief comes). Not just another exercise book. Truly works and a Godsend for me. Also, lite swimming (in various forms under water) helps tremendously. Just an FYI, I have not needed to take any meds for pain and all the docs are surprised considering what the MRI's and X-rays show. I'm married to a doc too and he's amazed and also doing the exercises too!! Good Luck.

If you ever get back here how are you doing and how is the pain now? What have they done. I have terrible problems with right shoulder,neck and arm and geezer work is the culprit but they denied WC so I got attorney and we are waiting on a settlement but in the mean time no one is doing anything to help me and i still do the same job that is causing the problem. I just have to take Tramadol 4 times a day and 2800 mg of Gamabentin in the course of the day.