I was bent over cleaning walls as i came up i felt pain in sciatic and back...next day I had complete foot drop....This was nov.2006
Today i have very little improvement,and still lot of pain and foot drop-I have been in p thereapy for 4 months,i have gained a little strength in my leg.
My probable diagnosis " lumbosacral plexus nerve injury"
Any one elese out there familar with this-
Curious if after 9 months what my chances of regainig atleast the use of my foot>?
Thanks Tgibbo

I woke up 6 weeks ago with right arm numbness and wrist drop. After three visits to different doctors my diagnosis is wrist PIN drop syndrome. The research I have done says it is most likely caused by fractured humerus (dont recall any injury)or Saturday Night Palsy (I was not drinking the previous night). This is my dominent hand and I am getting very discouraged and depressed. I am unable to work, write, type 100 wpm like I did before (this took me forever to type with one hand) or do much of anything one handed. No one can tell me what to do to help the radial nerve heal or how long this will last. I need to know what to do. No xrays were ever taken and my entire forearm and thumb are numb. I cannot lift my wrist at all or have any control over my fingers. Anyone else had this?????

I sympathize with you..I woke up with the exact same thing, oh about... 12 days ago by now.. (the Sunday before last and today is Thursday).. I too was diagnosed with this "Radial Nerve" or "Saturday Night" Palsy.. I have the same thing, total wrist drop, cannot lift it, cannot lift my fingers, but I can still grip.... I haven't had any appreciable improvement in almost 2 weeks.. they said it would be several weeks at best and I have a follow up appt. in 6 weeks with the doc. Have you had any improvement since you posted? I'm with you bro.. it sucks... I got lucky because it's my non-dominant hand, so it must really suck for you. How have you been? Has it gotten any better? I'm in the same boat as you. Best of luck to you.

Movemyarm, It has been 9 weeks now and no relief. I finally saw a neurologist, he ordered a battery of blood and urine tests and an nerve study/EMG for Tuesday this week. He could not tell me if it was permanent. He did tell me some possible causes; lead or heavy metal poisoning ? diabetes, cancer, vitamin defeciency. He has me taking Vitamin B1 and B6. 200 mg a day.
This is the strangest thing I have ever come across. What is worse is hardly anyone has heard of it so not many people understand.....this is making me very down and STRESSED!!! :-(

Jessica
Palm Coast, Florida

Please someone out there explain to me what this is......I thought I'd slept on my hand but by the end of the day I still could not raise my hand, not even level...it;s dropped ! My thumb is slightly numb but apart from that I have NO pain, just can't use my left hand at all...been 3 days now & top Dr, said I must go to ER at hospital but I couldn't be bothered waiting 6-8 hours & be told they don't know !!!! Will it eventually go, so I can use my hand again or do I go to hospital ???? Please advise me someone !!!!

You will find zero answers or anyone with any helpful info.

You wake up... your hand don't work. You research freaking out.... you find nothing but vague answers. It might as well be voodoo.... it can come back on it's own... slowly or all at once.... in two days, two weeks, two months, two years, or never....

Freaking great.... thanx for that info Dr Science.

What more news? A visit to the ER, blood labs, a specialist, and a MRI will tell you only one thing: you now have less money. You want some kind of peace of mind.... forget it.

For a condition that's not unheard of.... there is a total lacking of any decent answer.

Radial Neuropathy, wrist drop, Saturday night palsy, Honeymooners palsy, all terms for 'Your hand don't work, and we have no more answers for you'. Think of it as a weather report: here's very general info: tomorrow it may be sunny or it may rain. Check. Thanx doc.

My only hope on the lack of answers is that people forget about it once they heal and forget to post back... that or they never heal and are crying in a corner somewhere.

I wish you all the very best my friends... having a condition with no decent information is indeed scary.

Hey there,
I recently was diagnosed with this as well. Realistically you should go see a doctor, especially if you atre having any pain, to make sure there is no underlying cause other than a pinched nerve in your shoulder or wrist. For me, I had a CT scan and everything seemed fine. I have my wrist and forearm in a splint and sling to immobilize it to allow the nerves time to heal. They recommended I see neurologist, but they are booked too far ahead so I figure if I get better, I probably won't worry about that.

This is the second time I've had it in my non-dominant hand. The first time it was over within a week, this time it has been 8 days with no improvement. At first I thought I'd had a stroke.

My husband is an MD and says the same thing, it may improve tomorrow or it may never improve.

It's important to pull your hand back and pull your fingers toward you to keep your range of motion. Also bend the wrist down and stretch. In addition, work with each finger, massage and bend back and forth.

Hope this helps.

I am poster that last posted on 02/15/09 - 02:51 Post subject: Yup. It's Radial Neuropathy.

The above is THE best advise you can get. While I agree it's only safe to check with such conditions please don't throw money away needlessly. Working the hands to keep range of motion is really your only bet until the nerves start to put themselves back together.

I wish it was a week or two for me :(

Can now OPEN my hand and extend my wrist. Hand lifting strength is still minimal but improves slowly. For me this has been a long slow progress but daily improvement that is REALLY hard to notice sometimes.

Remember that your hand is used to moving! All the time! Keep it moving and working.

Also as I have no medical basis for this claim I can't say it helps or not but I have kept a hair brush around to move over my hand wrist and arm to help stimulate the nerves. Figure it can't hurt and everyone had a hairbrush around!

Work with what you can, get checked out, don't go crazy with treatments that seems only time can heal in some situations.

I will post again when at 100% Here's to having hope and knowing I will get there.

Take care and good luck!

Well a bit of closure. I'm typing this with both my right and left hand. Date: June 20, 2009. I'm 99% back in working order. Still a little bit of discomfort but it took a long long time to put back together.

Here's to one post on the internet of someone posting back when they were sorted out (nearly.) I didn't forget! :-)

Don't loose hope.

just happen to come across this site and thought id chime in, this the second time i have had this ''wrist drop'' i guess what we will call it, last time it was better after about 2 weeks, i sure hope it doesnt last longer this time. just wanted to let some people know that they are not the only ones going through it, and it just takes time but it will get better, till then we will just have to type a little slower

Hope this isn't just a wrist drop site.

I have suffered with sciatica for over a year now. I know what caused it and it was due to me having a problem with my neck some 30 years ago and I found that the only way to sort out the neck pain which developed into severe headaches was not to sleep on my back. The answer to that was to sleep cold so that I would curl up in the foetal position to keep warm thus remaining on my side. Unfortunatley, after 30 years of this sleeping position, my lower back has developed sciatica. Now I am tying to sleep on my stomach. Not very easy as ones neck is now at 180 degrees to the body.

I tell you, I cannot wait for the 20th of December 2012.