Frequently I get tension pain behind my left ear. The pain in like a sharp tightness of some tendon located behind the ear. It will last a day or so and then the area feels as if it had been bruised. I often think it may be stress induced but no pain reliever seems to help. And I'm not sure why it is always behind the left ear. I have sought medical advice once. They did an MRI and found nothing. The problem seems to reoccur more often. Is this an issue that needs further medical attention?

I exactly have the same situation! no pain killer seems to work! the pain is gone in a couple of days n then it comes back again. if you turn your head towards right, you feel a considerable amount of tension behind your left ear!

I have the exact same problem. I'm thinking its because I do a neck exercise with weights for football but I cant be sure, but what I do know is that no amount of advil eases the pain. Also my headache feels as though it is localized to a certain point behind my left ear.

Its strange - Mine started last week. Its a rather consuming pain, that is in the hollow area just behind my left earlobe. If i press there, it is tender to the touch. The pain seems to radiate from there down into my neck. I went to a clinic and was given antibiotics 3 days ago, as the doctor said that he could see some swelling back there, but the antibiotics are not helping the problem. I am going to see my GP tomorrow, and will tell him what has occurred so far. I will post more as I learn more. Since it comes and goes, I am able to spend most of the day in relative comfort. At night, it gets the worst, and makes sleep difficult. Advil doesnt help, and Motrin has not helped. More later.

I have the same problem. Pain (to the touch) that comes and goes behind the left ear. I was wondering if anyone has been told what causes this pain. I have not gone to the Dr.'s because I feel I will be running around in circles with tests just to find out that they do not know why it occurs. I have selfdiagnosed and believe that it is a pinched nerve.

I also have this problem. It started several months ago, but it has recently gotten much worse. I am going to the doctor next week. I'll let you know what he says.

Your posting said that you would let us know what the DR said.... my husband has these pains and is going to the dr tomorrow and wants to research before going in. Please, post what yours ended up being.

Thank you.

Impact

I've been having pain behind my left ear that leads to constant headaches on the left side. anyone have any thoughts what it could be. I'm not sick no trauma, just randomly starting hurting 2 days ago.

I have this pain after several knocks to the same ear, one of which left me with reduced hearing in the ear (thought mine is the right one) After 3 doctors, 4 MRI's, 2 Ultrasounds, numerous X rays and a Cat scan I had to change doctors.  The new one prodded it 3 times, told me I probably injured a tendon, gave me some anti depressants and after 2 weeks the pain lessened, 5 weeks my hearing started coming back, at 7 weeks I had a full function hearing test (better then my last one Prior to the first incident).  Last check up at 8 weeks I was told to wean of antidepressants, that was a Month ago. I just had a small encounter with a Loud Sudden Bang and feel I will need to start up the Antidepressants again as my hearing has gone and pain has returned. 

Headaches started approximately 6 months ago and have gotten more intense.  Went to Neurosurgeon to check for spurs or additional damage (C6-C7 fusion last year) and found nothing.  Neurosurgeon recommended pain MD and after consultation elected to receive two injections for the pain.  Shots were uncomfortable but not painful.  This was less than 30-days ago and the relief was minimal.  Have had three days where the headache reached 8 on a 1-10 scale.  Very little relief from pain meds.  Returning to pain management MD tomorrow.  

I have the pain behind my right ear. I believe stress to be the culprit. A pinch nerve cpuld also be an issue. Yesterday all of the tension was gathered in to one spot, just behind the right earlobe, were the cartledge of the ear meets the cranium. I started massageing the area and worked the bump down and the tension seemed to go away. Now, that area is so sensitive. There is swelling all in the area i was massaging. Very sensitive to the touch, and turning my head left causes alot of discomfort. Streaching and Yoga are the only thing that seems to help. Which is why I believe it to be stress induced and/or a piched nerve possibly. I have had this happen a few times. always on the right side. Now that I think about it. I spent the weekend at a friends were I had a hard time sleeping, and found the most confortable position on my stomach with my head facing towards the right. I slept like this 2 nights. When I turn my head to the right it does pinch, and have the most tension in that one area. So, with that I conclude a pinched nerve along with stress. Streching and smoking cannabis is the best course of action. Starting treatment imidiatly. 

I had the same problem for about a year. Headache seemed like it was behind my left ear and I could not figure out what was causing it. The pain for me was actually steaming from my shoulder blade. I sleep on my side. I tried it one day, slept on my side and felt the muscles near and around my shoulder blade, and there it was. Massaged that muscle and a few days later the pain finally went away. Very frustrating time in my life. Doctors could not cure it after multiple visits. I solved it and was compelled to share the solution. I know how much it sucks and hope this helps.

Oh when you’re looking for that muscle sleep on your side and lay on you arm. That’s the only way to make that muscle stick out.

I think it's from exercise too