I'm a 24 year old woman and for the past five years I have had pain from my sciatic nerve and in my shoulder moving down my arm to my little finger and ring finger.

........

For the majority of the time I could deal with the pain by taking ibuprofen regularly, but two months ago I woke up one morning with the pain being much more extreme, sharp, and moving up into my neck.  I waited a day to see if it would lessen and then the next day when it didn't went to the promptcare department at my local hospital.  They examined me, did xrays of my shoulder and neck which all were normal, then prescribed me flexeril and upped my ibuprofen intake.  I was referred to a shoulder orthopedic.  Went to see that doctor and after he examined me he diagnosed me with cervical radiculitis and prescribed PT and referred me to a spine doctor.

........

Two weeks later I started PT and met with the spine doctor, by this point the pain was more extreme and I was prescribed tramadol (150mg a day).  The spine doctor and physical therapist both agreed that my symptoms pointed to a disc problem in my cervical spine.  Two weeks into the physical therapy process my pain increased so that my medication was not relieving it anymore.  My dosage of tramadol was increased to 300mg a day.  I got an MRI and completed the month worth of PT and then met with the spine doctor to discuss the results.  My cervical mri showed no problems with my cervical spine whatsoever.  The only thing that it showed was a small nodule in my thyroid which is unrelated.  The PT has not relieved my pain symptoms whatsoever.  When the therapist is stretching my neck any movement of my head towards the back right quadrant duplicates the stabbing pains in my shoulder and down my arm to my hand.  Range of motion has improved slightly.

........

After receiving the news that my mri did not show any disc problems, the spine doctor has referred me to a pain management and diagnostic center.  He said they will likely do nerve studies there.  I am now waiting for my referral to go through so I can make an appointment with them.  Over the last two days my pain has increased even more, I went to the er with so much pain in my shoulder, arm, and chest that even breathing was hurting.  They did a CT scan of my head and my chest with contrast and without.  They did not find anything wrong.  Even with the 4mg shot of morphine I received in the ER I still felt some aching though the pain was much relieved.  They prescribed Lortab (5/325) which will lessen the pain for an hour and a half during the four hour span of time that a dose is supposed to last.

........

I am incredibly frustrated and upset.  Essentially the whole right side of my body is in pain with my sciatic nerve pain and the pain in my shoulder/back/neck/arm/hand.  My toes on my right foot cramp up painfully several times a week, I can't drive because my knee hurts when I have to keep consitant pressure on the pedals in the car, and the vision in my right eye is blurry, doubled, and affecting my overal vision, I can no longer read things that aren't close to my face.  I don't understand how they haven't found a problem, how can I be in so much pain with nothing showing up on all these tests?  I don't want to medicated, I want to be diagnosed even if it's with something uncureable so that at least I'll feel like there's a reason to take meds to cover the pain.  I am also starting to have occasional sciatic pain and shoulder aches on my left side, though they are rare and nowhere near as painful as what's going on with my right side.

........

I'm young, I have a promising career ahead of me, and two young children who want me to be able to play with them.  I'm feeling incredibly miserable with the pain and limitations I'm dealing with.

........

Any advice, possible answers, or mere support would be greatly appreciated.  

I would see a nuer surgeon asap. Beg plead do whatever you need to , go to the office & wait,cry moan whatever is necessary. By pass that 1-2 month wait. Sometimes you almost have to grab someone by the collar to be heard. That is no way to live, and I know, no one understands, not even a nice spouse. Again I know. I'm currently having the same but not anywhere close to your sysmtoms. Did have major back surgery with hardware (lower 11 months ago, when I over do I am exhausted. I have had a herniated penis in my neck before, and knowing my body I know its back. I do not want to scare you, but you really need to be assertive. I don't know where you live, but if in the niortheast, go to New Baptist, Dr. Marcotte. But make it your prioty for you. And while I'm here, does anyone who has hd major back surgery and been labeled disabled, when trying to work everyday, even around the house, become totally exhausted, and after 3 days feel like uou need to take 2 days off to do NOTHING. Thanks

I went to my primary care doctor, and got a referral to a neurologist. Still waiting to be scheduled for the appt. I also start going to a pain management center on the 5th of october and I'm getting another orthopedic to check me out as well. Still in crazy pain, recently suffered a five day long headache that was only present in my right temple and now am getting some facial numbness on the right side. Getting worse and am slowly going insane.

I know I am kind of late, but I just came across this while trying to find answers to my own post.  Please look into Thoracic Outlet Syndrome.  It sounds EXACTLY like what you have...except for the vision and foot part.  I am in Seattle and have seen a wonderful Thoracic Outlet specialist, although they dont think that is what I have anymore.  Thoarcic Outlet affects your neck, shoulders, down your arms and into your hands- your pinky and ring finger exactly.  They can test for this by injecting novacaine on one/either side of your neck to see if it relieves the pain.  I have been desperately looking for answers to my own pain- as I am young too and have plenty of life before me to live!  If this could help one person in my same situation it would be great.  Please keep us posted! 

SN: It also causes headaches and will not show up in any MRI, XRAY, Nerve Conduction study or anything else

Hi tipper44, i just left orthopedic doc with same symptoms. He said i had cervical radiculopathy which will resolve with pt, prednisone and tramadol. It may return. Hope this helped.

I know you posted a long time ago but your symptoms remind me of the pain I've been in for 5 years. I had exactly the same issues. Have you considered that you atlas (C1) might be misaligned? I saw a NUCCA trained chiropractor who sent me for x-rays. I could visibly see that my atlas was tilted. Finally! A diagnosis! I've been having adjustments for about 1 month and it is helping. Over the 5 years my body adapted to being misaligned so it does 'slip' out once in a while meaning I need another adjustment. I'm not pain free 100% of the time but getting there. Hope this is of some help.
Good luck - never give up :)

Herniated penis?????? Uh maybe disc,,lol