Recently I had problems with hay fever so I went to my doctor. He proscribed me Claritin so I would like to know more about this dug. I am usually avoiding taking medicines and relying on the alternative treatment methods. I would appreciate some information.

Claritin is an antihistamine that relieves the sneezing, runny nose and tearing eyes caused by hay fever. It is also prescribed for relief of the swollen, red, itchy skin labeled chronic hives. It is available in syrup and regular tablets. Also, it is available in rapidly dissolving tablets called Reditabs. Side effects cannot be anticipated but if you experience any changes, contact your doctor as soon as possible because he is the only one who can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Claritin. Claritin can cause excessive sleepiness in people with liver or kidney disease, or older adults. In these conditions this medicine should be used with caution. More common side effects are dry mouth, fatigue, headache, sleepiness. Less common or rare side effects are abdominal discomfort or pain, abnormal dreams, anxiety, back pain, blurred vision, breast enlargement, breast pain, bronchitis, chest pain, confusion etc. I am sure that you will be ok and I understand that you want to know all there is to know about the drug you are taking.